• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

99% fully remote roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    100% remote roles I can outsource to India / Bulgaria / Romania for peanuts.
    Good luck with that.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      99% percent of communication is digital now. Email, instance messaging like Teams/Slack. Now video meetings are the norm.

In IT, where the customers are not in the office, the hardware and applications are in the Cloud, what REALLY can on'y be done face to face?

I'd argue not much. If your workplace only works where people are in the same building, then it's either something unusual (like you work on hardware) or the company has an odd controlling culture.
      It's the side chats, the glancing during a demo that convey the client isn't 100% with what is being presented

There are a whole pile of things you gain from physical presence that make it worthwhile for some items.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Good luck with that.
        A lot of companies and failing managers seem to think this is the controlling stick they can use. And now they are saying you must return to the office otherwise we will send your jobs 100% remote! Logic isn't their strong point.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

It's the side chats, the glancing during a demo that convey the client isn't 100% with what is being presented

There are a whole pile of things you gain from physical presence that make it worthwhile for some items.
          Never really got that vibe. If anything in a face to face everyone is silent, in a remote scenario they are nodding on the video and messaging on another channel they hate it.

Comment

I'm wondering who exactly you're trying to convince with all of this. I'm sure many agree with you that remote can work just as well as in office, it's not the posters here you need to convince its the end client.

And if they're paying five hundy per day, I'm sure they'll prefer a bum on a seat.

Comment

For peanuts. Oh dear.

If an offshore resource is 10 times cheaper than an onshore resource, but takes 15 times longer to get the work done it doesn't work out cheap by any means. Factor in amount of rework and it becomes fantastically expensive. What so many companies fail to understand is that your IT systems are your business. I was working for a client of Satyam when that went down the tubes. Highly entertaining watching senior executives running around like headless chickens "Who's looking after our systems?! Who's got our data?!"

I've been at the sharp end of offshoring and nearshoring for 20 years. I've worked with the beggers on the ground. I've also spent time with the offshore workers - I know what goes on.

Eastern Europe used to be a good bet, but it's getting more expensive as demand grows. The client I used to work for used to be able to get experienced professionals relatively cheaply in Poland. But after a few years, for the same rate, the amount of experience dwindled, and turnover was high, resulting in a massive loss of system knowledge.

As far as further offshore goes, the cheapest way to outsource to India is to pay them their retainer. Never let them onto your system, and have an on-shore team do the work.

It takes years to recover to the point where people know where to put the chalk. Managers, typically, are very slow to learn this lesson.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I am currently doing a role which the client tried to outsource to India and Poland.

There are not enough English literate IT people with the skills they require. This means they have had to come back to the UK plus other more expensive countries.....

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've been fully remote (with a few days preliminary onsite) for the last ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by chabeezy View Post
                    I'm wondering who exactly you're trying to convince with all of this. I'm sure many agree with you that remote can work just as well as in office, it's not the posters here you need to convince its the end client.

And if they're paying five hundy per day, I'm sure they'll prefer a bum on a seat.
                    Not trying to convince anyone.

I've been fully remote for 18 months and intend to carry on that way, wondered if anyone else had the same intentions (i.e. will only fully remote contracts, not long commutes or stay overs). If so, how have they found the market for this type of role.

If no one has anything useful to add other than "your job is going to India mate" (yawn) or "you are bum on seat, get to office like a good permie" then I think this question has been answered.

Comment

Only through sheer chance I've been 99% remote for 3 years now (including this year) - prior to that, never, so I would say the concept is definitely picking up

Comment

Working...
                      X