• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in the UK from EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in the UK from EU

How in the hell am I supposed to contract in the UK now from Europe?
    You've seen them. There's an unholy amount of remote contracts available from UK based companies.
    Before Brexit, all I needed was a VAT number and all was peachy.

Now? I am supposed to either have my own UK Ltd or use an UK umbrella, and then pay tax on what's left after UK taxes on my NL Ltd?
    I'm confused.

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
    How in the hell am I supposed to contract in the UK now from Europe?
    You've seen them. There's an unholy amount of remote contracts available from UK based companies.
    Before Brexit, all I needed was a VAT number and all was peachy.

Now? I am supposed to either have my own UK Ltd or use an UK umbrella, and then pay tax on what's left after UK taxes on my NL Ltd?
    I'm confused.
    Sorry, you're not confused, you've understood it fully. It's designed to discourage and penalise.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

ok so
      UK NEEDS a tulipton of contractors
      the local market can't even dream of meeting the demand
      so they decide to treat the local contractors badly by forcing most under IR35
      and make sure nobody from abroad can work on them
      because they've been too stupid to copy paste one of the no double taxation accords and just change the country names?

BRB totally not writing a virus

Comment

Have you asked your accountant in NL

This might help regarding IR35
        https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insig...ational-issues

The flow chart on this might help but it is geared towards goods, not services
        https://www.bdo.co.uk/en-gb/insights...s-after-brexit

It's highly likely that Agents and Clients won't understand the IR35 side of things for non-UK residents so will either not work with you or insist you use a UK brolly to make their life easier. There should still be a a double taxation treaty in place so you shouldn't get charged extra tax, over what you've paid in the UK, when you bring the money into NL but how you account for that, is something you need to talk to a local expert about.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Have you asked your accountant in NL

This might help regarding IR35
          https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insig...ational-issues

The flow chart on this might help but it is geared towards goods, not services
          https://www.bdo.co.uk/en-gb/insights...s-after-brexit

It's highly likely that Agents and Clients won't understand the IR35 side of things for non-UK residents so will either not work with you or insist you use a UK brolly to make their life easier. There should still be a a double taxation treaty in place so you shouldn't get charged extra tax, over what you've paid in the UK, when you bring the money into NL but how you account for that, is something you need to talk to a local expert about.
          I asked my accountant. I got a "uhh, don't do that".
          The treaty apparently still exists from 2008 but nobody wants to even try to apply it

Comment

I asked my accountant. I got a "uhh, don't do that".
            The treaty apparently still exists from 2008 but nobody wants to even try to apply it
            Sounds like you need an accountant with international trading experience...

Comment

ok so
              because they've been too stupid to copy paste one of the no double taxation accords and just change the country names?

Agents want an easy life - which means a contract signed by a UK company...

If you want to sell work into the UK via your NL company, go direct and don't use Agents.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Agents want an easy life - which means a contract signed by a UK company...

If you want to sell work into the UK via your NL company, go direct and don't use Agents.
                here's a thought, although it is somewhat tongue in cheek....

Would any of the loan schemes work for someone who is out of reach from HMRC?
                Double taxation not relevant as no tax has been paid. And these schemes will drop their 'fee' down to less than 10% if you bargain with them.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

here's a thought, although it is somewhat tongue in cheek....

Would any of the loan schemes work for someone who is out of reach from HMRC?
                  Double taxation not relevant as no tax has been paid. And these schemes will drop their 'fee' down to less than 10% if you bargain with them.
                  The one thing I learned since bein a contractor is that all agents are various flavours of scum

Comment

There's an unholy amount of remote contracts available from UK based companies.
                    Not really. There are a lot of Work From Home gigs available during lockdown which will start rapidly decreasing as clients return to the office. That's very different to remote work as it used to be in the old days. Doesn't necessarily mean they can be done in another country.

That went from being rubbish to being totally ridiculous. Local market can't dream of meeting demand? Popycock? Forcing in tio IR35 due to demand? Making sure no one from abroad can work for them. Just rubbish.

The one thing I learned since bein a contractor is that all agents are various flavours of scum
                    Bit harsh that.

Maybe it's a second language or just venting on an online forum but I think you need an attitude check. You are making issues where there aren't any so a change in your thinking might make it all a bit easier or something like that.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X