• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in the UK from EU"

Collapse

• lorakeen
    replied
    Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
    Right I see. If you find an Agency that does international contracting it's pretty straightforward - we do it in most EU countries for both employed solutions and freelance.

I was advised to reopen my UK ltd so I can take remote work for UK based companies.

Leave a comment:

• ComplianceLady
    replied
    Right I see. If you find an Agency that does international contracting it's pretty straightforward - we do it in most EU countries for both employed solutions and freelance.

Originally posted by eek View Post

Because as NotAllThere quoted me above, unless you the agency / end client wants YOU and only you there are other far easier options to choose from.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean people will be willing to accept the extra risk and hassle.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Why would UK tax be a consideration? Contracting as a tax resident of somewhere else for a UK company is pretty straightforward if you use an international agency.
    Because as NotAllThere quoted me above, unless you the agency / end client wants YOU and only you there are other far easier options to choose from.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean people will be willing to accept the extra risk and hassle.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Why would UK tax be a consideration? Contracting as a tax resident of somewhere else for a UK company is pretty straightforward if you use an international agency.
    That's my view as well. Even B2B or a UK agency. But...

Agents want an easy life - which means a contract signed by a UK company...

If you want to sell work into the UK via your NL company, go direct and don't use Agents.
    This. The only reason I managed to work remote for a UK company was because the hiring manager wanted me specifically, and the agent was happy to take a cut for doing doing. Even then, we had to change agencies once when the first got cold feet. With IR35 as it now, agents are ever more terrified.

Leave a comment:

• ComplianceLady
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post

They wouldn't have to. If there's a person based abroad working for a UK company then the tax matters becomes the responsibility of that person, not of the UK company. Same as a UK person working for a company abroad - the HMRC requires there to be a UK-resident person or entity operating PAYE, which can be the UK-resident person her/himself.
    Nope, your presence abroad could (and probably does in a lot of places) be enough to create a local subsidary.

This is an area a lot of companies are rightly paranoid about since Covid mades things easier (and way more complex).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post

IR35 is entirely incompatible with remote working UNLESS remote working is restricted to within the UK. You would effectively be in breach of NL tax laws as you are supposed to pay your taxes entirely in NL if that's where you do your work from and don't set foot in the UK other than for an occasional business meeting.

But try talking to agencies or clients about this and you'll get a more intelligible response from a brick wall.
    The response is however, intelligent and rational from their point of view - they are recruiting someone who is in the UK (or at least is pretending to be) because the contract is inside IR35 and therefore the worker will be an employee...

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied

Fully remote within the UK, as no sane firm wants to enter the joys of international payroll tax issues unless they really have to...
    They wouldn't have to. If there's a person based abroad working for a UK company then the tax matters becomes the responsibility of that person, not of the UK company. Same as a UK person working for a company abroad - the HMRC requires there to be a UK-resident person or entity operating PAYE, which can be the UK-resident person her/himself.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
    How in the hell am I supposed to contract in the UK now from Europe?
    You've seen them. There's an unholy amount of remote contracts available from UK based companies.
    Before Brexit, all I needed was a VAT number and all was peachy.

Now? I am supposed to either have my own UK Ltd or use an UK umbrella, and then pay tax on what's left after UK taxes on my NL Ltd?
    I'm confused.
    IR35 is entirely incompatible with remote working UNLESS remote working is restricted to within the UK. You would effectively be in breach of NL tax laws as you are supposed to pay your taxes entirely in NL if that's where you do your work from and don't set foot in the UK other than for an occasional business meeting.

But try talking to agencies or clients about this and you'll get a more intelligible response from a brick wall.

Leave a comment:

• lorakeen
    replied

Get a Wise account and that will give you a US bank account to make things easy for them
    i loved you so much

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Old client wants me back if we can figure out payment options.
    Get a Wise account and that will give you a US bank account to make things easy for them

Leave a comment:

• lorakeen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you want to work remotely, why do you have to work for a UK company? I received an approach on LI for a role that's in Minneapolis, 100% remote.
    Old client wants me back if we can figure out payment options.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    If you want to work remotely, why do you have to work for a UK company? I received an approach on LI for a role that's in Minneapolis, 100% remote.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    This is a massive threat to UK contracting. Without competing workers from the EU, UK contractors are going to spend a lot less time and money on leisure and have to fill the gap by working non stop all year round.

I hope people in the UK are ready for constant phone calls from agents for contract work, what a nuisance!

Leave a comment:

• NowPermOutsideUK
    replied
    ok so
    UK NEEDS a tulipton of contractors
    the local market can't even dream of meeting the demand
    so they decide to treat the local contractors badly by forcing most under IR35
    and make sure nobody from abroad can work on them
    because they've been too stupid to copy paste one of the no double taxation accords and just change the country names?

BRB totally not writing a virus
    and what they will do is up their perm rates so British people with no visa issues get jobs back in the Uk.

i am seeing this first Hand. A very very good salary to return to the Uk from abroad to do some IT work

Leave a comment:

Working...
X