• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency offering rates they can never pay...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eek
    replied
    There is a difficult middle ground you need to hit where the agency knows you have other options but those options aren't enough to justify the agency to put a different candidate forward rather than you.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

correction: If the agency know you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.[
    Sure you can bluff but you still have a weak hand.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    At the end of the day you've been made an offer. You can accept or decline. If you have no other alternatives then you need to consider how long it will take you to get a contract at the higher rate. If you end up for one or two months more without a contract, you're probably still better off accepting the contract at the current rate.

In order to ensure you get a high rate you need multiple leads. If you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.
    correction: If the agency know you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.[

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    At the end of the day you've been made an offer. You can accept or decline. If you have no other alternatives then you need to consider how long it will take you to get a contract at the higher rate. If you end up for one or two months more without a contract, you're probably still better off accepting the contract at the current rate.

In order to ensure you get a high rate you need multiple leads. If you're only following one lead, you have a weak hand.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Regardless of whether they put you forward at your asking rate or not I have found more often than not, the agents would try and push your rate down.
    Happened to me this week after a great interview with a client.

Agent calls the next day, says he received great feedback and he feels the client would go for me if I went for a 10% lower rate. That was definitely not an offer from the client, as they told me during the interview that they would let me know either way after midweek. I said not interested.

One day later agent calls and says the client offered me the contract... surprise, surprise I got my asking rate.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

"never split the difference" by Chris Voss is a good starting point but the rest is life and business experience.

HTH
    Thanks for the book reference!

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    If it is not an outright scam, it is a confidence trick, which is almost as bad.

Time wasters. Name and shame them.

If they did that to me i would string them along for as long as possible, even accept the offer subject to reviewing contract terms.
    Make them draw up the paperwork. Then review the contract for as long as possible and then tell then to stuff it.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 8 July 2021, 17:43.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Maybe they should go ask the employer hey...
    unfortunately that is how they see it. it's not their fault because all the mixing narratives push that way but it is not the right way to negotiate your way in as a contractor.

it is the most prevalent mentality here I am afraid because that is what they've been though in school, that is what they've seen in the corporate world -> that is what they replicate. BUT IT IS ALL WRONG.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    forgot to mention, in the negotiation you should try at least 2 hands. If what they come up with is not satisfactory push for another figure. Play another card. You should NEVER accept what they first push forward.

You should always be ready to move on as well because you are not a permi desperate to pay bills and keep wifey happy, YOU ARE A BUSINESS. Agency is very happy but you are not doing any good for the market as well because both the client and agency thinks: we've found a fool at this rate and he is happy, we will find another one.

It is how business works, this is not permi land. Learn to stand for yourself and negotiate.

"never split the difference" by Chris Voss is a good starting point but the rest is life and business experience.

HTH
    Maybe they should go ask the employer hey...

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    forgot to mention, in the negotiation you should try at least 2 hands. If what they come up with is not satisfactory push for another figure. Play another card. You should NEVER accept what they first push forward.

You should always be ready to move on as well because you are not a permi desperate to pay bills and keep wifey happy, YOU ARE A BUSINESS. Agency is very happy but you are not doing any good for the market as well because both the client and agency thinks: we've found a fool at this rate and he is happy, we will find another one.

It is how business works, this is not permi land. Learn to stand for yourself and negotiate.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X