• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies or search services out there that *actively* search for work on your behalf?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies or search services out there that *actively* search for work on your behalf?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a contract search service that actively searches for advertised opportunities on your behalf, across many other agency websites *and*, will then will send out a resume based on your matching criteria? This would be a paid for service and they'd have to speak to the agency if they ring to take it forward initially.

For those asking why, searching / dealing with agents during working hours is not an option (industrial environment where mobiles are banned) so I only get to search after hours and by then many contract opportunities have gone; agents have already sent a shortlist of candidates over as they're in competition with other agencies. I could take time out to deal with an agent if I knew the contract was a good match and they were trying to schedule an interview, but it's a lottery out there. Many agents just want a chat\references. It then goes no further.

As for registering a resume with an agency and waiting for 'the call', I think that system broke a long time ago. It's not working for me. If I send the same resume in response to an advertisement (same day), I sometimes get a call back.

Couple the above with role profiles that are often missing critical information (rate, exact location, IR35 status) and vague\incorrect profile descriptions, I'm even more inclined to outsource the task of applications, and just see what turns up in the wash.

If agencies can get away with putting complete generalists on the front line to deal with us, contractors should be able to do the same to interface with them. Nothing stopping me from hiring someone, but I wondered if there was a service already up and running.

Thanks.

Do you know what supply & demand means as it answers ALL your questions! Unless your a rocket scientist or high level ultra niche IT pro you have the same problem everyone else has........! Endless supply & dwindling demand!

Comment

I can't see a huge market for this - what would you be willing to spend on such a service? Maybe you need to hire a PA.

Comment

I know someone who tried to set up such an agency years ago.
        His idea was that the contractors would pay for a complete career management and PA service in the same way that actors and sports stars pay their agents.
        He was going to cap it initially at 30 contractors.
        Where this fell down was in getting the contractors to pay the fees needed to cover such an operation and that he didn't have enough clout at enough big firms to get on the PSL's. It would have worked out that each contractor would have needed to generated him £10-15k in fees PA based on 10-20% of contractors billings to make the whole shebang work.
        He showed me the service offering and there was a ton of good stuff in there. It was a triple gold plated service. For example the agency would have taken care of booking flights, hotels, cars, transfers for overseas/big distance travel. They were going to do contractor ltd co accounts in house as well. I have to say the service was well thought out and took so much hassle away from the contractor in theory.
        What I said back then was that he would need to be able to demonstrate that he could keep any contractor in work at above average rates continuously and probably get the client to give the agency margin to the contractor.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          I can't see a huge market for this - what would you be willing to spend on such a service? Maybe you need to hire a PA.
          I can't see one at all, and the fact there isn't speaks volumes. Contracting has been around for christ knows how long. If it were viable it would happened a long time ago. So it's clearly not.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I can't see one at all, and the fact there isn't speaks volumes. Contracting has been around for christ knows how long. If it were viable it would happened a long time ago. So it's clearly not.
            I think that part of the reason is that it is illegal certainly in this country for recruitment/employment agencies to charge jobseekers/candidates fees.
            In a way I think this is part of why IR35 can stick because contractors looking are classed as jobseekers looking for work. Not business owners chasing sales leads.

If were using the same business model as actors/personalities/sports stars do. By paying a percentage of the income from work found after the invoice for the work has been paid effectively then IR35 might have been different.

Theres a probably a point of law somewhere but I wonder how actors and the like can use the pay an agent model and the rest of us cannot. The fees have to come from the client/employer end and cascade that way via the agency.

On the hire a PA note. I think I am the only contractor I know who has had a PA (paid staff - not the Mrs on an unpaid basis) and I wouldn't get them to chase agencies. Whilst the PA's have generally been proficient in dealing with the agencies, the agency muppets have not been proficient in dealing with the PA and the call from my office has generally had to be made twice. Once by the PA and again by me.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Looks like I'll have to hire a part time PA then. That's probably the most flexible option. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The work can be done from home and just needs a phone, computer and internet connection.

It is a narrow use case in my instance, I'll admit that. Still surprised there's no paid for service to cut out the searching and application process, given the size of the contract market in the UK. I'm not talking about a full blown agent that takes a cut, just the searching and initial application. I find it time consuming and rather boring TBH. I guess it all depends on what you value your time at and how much you value your life. Same thing applies to cleaning a house, servicing a car, driving instead of walking; it's no different.

If I do find a service that's already up and running, I'll let you all know.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime View Post
                Looks like I'll have to hire a part time PA then. That's probably the most flexible option. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The work can be done from home and just needs a phone, computer and internet connection.

It is a narrow use case in my instance, I'll admit that. Still surprised there's no paid for service to cut out the searching and application process, given the size of the contract market in the UK. I'm not talking about a full blown agent that takes a cut, just the searching and initial application. I find it time consuming and rather boring TBH. I guess it all depends on what you value your time at and how much you value your life. Same thing applies to cleaning a house, servicing a car, driving instead of walking; it's no different.

If I do find a service that's already up and running, I'll let you all know.

Regards.
                How long have you been contracting?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not long enough to know that agents want and need to speak to contractors the selves rather than representatives.

I can see what he wants to do but it's probably way closer to a boutique consultancy than anything else.

And there are a lot of firms that try and offer low cost match making services 6prog is one. But they fail fora difference reason, money makes the world go round and low cost services don't have the money required to keep things spinning.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The closest thing I have seen to this is Grant Thornton’s model. But even that doesn’t really come close to this. They go through a vetting process with a 4 stage interview, and then once approved, they use their bank of contractors for their client base. But that doesn’t guarantee the contractor priority and the contractor is free to find other contracts outside of Grant Thornton.

Comment

Working...
                    X