• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to give client's laptop back - being ignored

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to give client's laptop back - being ignored

Like the title says really. Terminated a contract at the end of March because the agent wrongly assumed they could change the terms from outside to inside IR35 in April. Client had provided a laptop and headset, sent by courier. Have asked the client and the agent repeatedly about returning said equipment, zero reply from either. Client is almost exclusively operating remote working, so can't go to their office to drop it off, plus it's a long way to travel.

Any ideas? Don't want or need it, got a Ltd Co so no idea of the legal/accounting implications if they never ask for it back, or how long I have to keep asking them before I can dispose of it.

Thanks in advance

Store it somewhere.

I had something similar. Eventually, they asked me to send it back. I said, fine, but you have to pay the shipping cost. They declined. I even offered to buy it off them, but they declined that as well. So I put linux on it and gave it to my daughter.

I'd give it a couple of years before actually ditching it though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks, haven't told them but I won't pay to send it back or take it at my expense because they insisted on giving it to me in the first place despite me having various suitable laptops/macbooks.

Comment

Start sending them monthly invoices for the cost of you storing it for them.

Or, perhaps more helpfully, ask them whether they are aware that their laptop is not insured, as neither your company insurances, nor your home insurance, will have cover for it.

After 6 months, sell it on ebay.

Comment

Contact the IT Security Lead, they tend to be more interested in risk presented by uncontrolled devices.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Contact the IT Security Lead, they tend to be more interested in risk presented by uncontrolled devices.
            You'd have thought wouldn't you? Done that and pointed out the lack of insurance too, zilch.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              This but really I don't think you (the op) is trying hard enough. Even if they thnk they are then keep trying. You've had personal interaction with more than enough staff so contact them directly. Even your ex hiring manager should be happy to take it back and store it. Speak to reception, do the above. Someone will listen.

Client is almost exclusively operating remote working, so can't go to their office to drop it off
              Almost exclusively... but there is still an office. Contact that office and you'll get passed around but someone will eventually accept it.

Any ideas? Don't want or need it, got a Ltd Co so no idea of the legal/accounting implications if they never ask for it back, or how long I have to keep asking them before I can dispose of it.
              Legal implications are you are responsible. End of. Don't go down the path of thinking it's yours just because you can't send it back. Do everything you can to get it back and wash your hands of it.

Thanks, haven't told them but I won't pay to send it back or take it at my expense because they insisted on giving it to me in the first place despite me having various suitable laptops/macbooks.
              I think you are being a bit petty TBH. Yes it's not right you send it back but I am absolutely certain if you put a bit more effort in to it it will all get resolved. I would have absolutely zero issue of paying for it to go back to be done with it. You've made tens, if not hundreds of K from the client so apart from the principle the cost is peanuts. Yep I agree, totally sucks and is not fair.. but nor is life.

Whatever you do make absolutely certain you get it in writing someone is going to receive it and send it tracked. After that it's end of your responsibility and you can move on.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This but really I don't think you (the op) is trying hard enough. Even if they thnk they are then keep trying. You've had personal interaction with more than enough staff so contact them directly. Even your ex hiring manager should be happy to take it back and store it. Speak to reception, do the above. Someone will listen.

Almost exclusively... but there is still an office. Contact that office and you'll get passed around but someone will eventually accept it.

Legal implications are you are responsible. End of. Don't go down the path of thinking it's yours just because you can't send it back. Do everything you can to get it back and wash your hands of it.

I think you are being a bit petty TBH. Yes it's not right you send it back but I am absolutely certain if you put a bit more effort in to it it will all get resolved. I would have absolutely zero issue of paying for it to go back to be done with it. You've made tens, if not hundreds of K from the client so apart from the principle the cost is peanuts. Yep I agree, totally sucks and is not fair.. but nor is life.

Whatever you do make absolutely certain you get it in writing someone is going to receive it and send it tracked. After that it's end of your responsibility and you can move on.

Well that's a lot of assumptions, most of them wrong. I don't consider it ours, it's a PITA to be honest, just want to get shot of it. Thanks for replying though.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Nah..

Keep it safe. Let them do the running. So long as it's there when they ask for it, it isn't your problem. You've done what you can - no need to do more.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

In similar situation.
                    Left in end of March. A week ago client contacted me about the 2 laptops I have (one is £2700 worth). Packed them yesterday and let them know to send courier to pick up. No response and by the looks of it I will need to chase.
                    Offered to buy the 2 grad one for peanuts - didnt respond to that I'd have offered £350 it is ~2 years old.

Comment

Working...
                    X