• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trying to give client's laptop back - being ignored"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I might get rid of the client laptop I have from 2011 now!
    You should take out and destroy the hard drive, preferably physically, even though the laptop is a decade old.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I might get rid of the client laptop I have from 2011 now!

Leave a comment:

• SamW
    replied
    Had a response at last, though from reading people's posts I won't be happy until it's out the door and they've confirmed receipt. Cheers all, lots of interesting advice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Maybe its already 3 years old, or approaching that age and so they don't really care.

Currently clients also issues new laptops at the 3 year old mark, even if your current one still works fine.
    I'm absolutely certain that is not the case at all. They need it back for security reasons regardless of anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Then they’d better hurry up and arrange to get it back from OP!
    Maybe its already 3 years old, or approaching that age and so they don't really care.

Currently clients also issues new laptops at the 3 year old mark, even if your current one still works fine.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Laptops have value for 3 years from new.
    Then they’d better hurry up and arrange to get it back from OP!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Is anyone in the office? If so I'd just pay for it to be sent back by courier and then send them an invoice for the return costs.

Alternatively, send them a letter by recorded delivery stating that you still have the laptop and will keep it stored safely for up to 6 months (or whatever you think is reasonable) after which time you will securely dispose of it.
    Laptops have value for 3 years from new.

Leave a comment:

• mookiemoo
    replied
    Similar situation

Client is in France - finished 26th October.

They paid expenses for me to ship it to them...... so I did using DPD - despite filling in the customs form correctly it got held up awaiting payment. Client took longer than three days to go and get it so it was sent back to me.

The whole experience was then repeated using UPS.

I've left and my contact has also left - so the situation their end won't improve.

I've now said they can either (1) arrange for a courier themselves to come and collect it from me or (2) I'll hand it into their clients office in the UK that I was working at,. They will arrange to send it to their French office internally where my clients staff are still on sit and can collect it from there.

Until then it sits in a corner - I'm giving it 12 months then I'm re-imaging it

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Is anyone in the office? If so I'd just pay for it to be sent back by courier and then send them an invoice for the return costs.

Alternatively, send them a letter by recorded delivery stating that you still have the laptop and will keep it stored safely for up to 6 months (or whatever you think is reasonable) after which time you will securely dispose of it.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Contact the IT Security Lead, they tend to be more interested in risk presented by uncontrolled devices.
    In a lot of big companies, even if you told them hackers were kicking the doors in right now, it would take 3 months for the company to react.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I had that last year.

In the end I realised I had the contact details of a senior manager so contacted him. A week later the laptop was gone.

In my case it was because I had 2 laptops and their asset management system couldn't cope with that.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    In the same boat.
    I got contract terminated beginning of Feb. I was told by the Agency they will send a courier to pick up the laptop and iphone. Havent heard zilch.
    I even spoke to the asset manager at the clients about 3 weeks ago as a catch up and mentioned I still have the kit. He goes oh ill organise something.
    Still havent heard anything.

Both are kept safe. I wont be chasing them.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    If you're that concerned just send it back via your local post office recorded/signed for & claim the postage costs against your Ltd Co. expenses.
    If you're not overly concerned & wish to drag this out, then just put it somewhere at your home where it won't get damaged & wait for them to contact you.
    I know which one I'd do.

Leave a comment:

• gisp
    replied
    In similar situation.
    Left in end of March. A week ago client contacted me about the 2 laptops I have (one is £2700 worth). Packed them yesterday and let them know to send courier to pick up. No response and by the looks of it I will need to chase.
    Offered to buy the 2 grad one for peanuts - didnt respond to that I'd have offered £350 it is ~2 years old.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This but really I don't think you (the op) is trying hard enough. Even if they thnk they are then keep trying. You've had personal interaction with more than enough staff so contact them directly. Even your ex hiring manager should be happy to take it back and store it. Speak to reception, do the above. Someone will listen.

Almost exclusively... but there is still an office. Contact that office and you'll get passed around but someone will eventually accept it.

Legal implications are you are responsible. End of. Don't go down the path of thinking it's yours just because you can't send it back. Do everything you can to get it back and wash your hands of it.

I think you are being a bit petty TBH. Yes it's not right you send it back but I am absolutely certain if you put a bit more effort in to it it will all get resolved. I would have absolutely zero issue of paying for it to go back to be done with it. You've made tens, if not hundreds of K from the client so apart from the principle the cost is peanuts. Yep I agree, totally sucks and is not fair.. but nor is life.

Whatever you do make absolutely certain you get it in writing someone is going to receive it and send it tracked. After that it's end of your responsibility and you can move on.

Nah..

Keep it safe. Let them do the running. So long as it's there when they ask for it, it isn't your problem. You've done what you can - no need to do more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X