• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to permieland - 1 month in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    To revive an old thread.

Been about a year and abit into my FTC. Still enjoying it. Challenging at times, especially with some closed minded people but manageble. Still enjoying having annual leave again. In the past year only had to go into the office 3 times. First was for a leaving do (my choice). Second was when a new engineer on the team started (meet and greet) and the third is next week when our new director starts, again just a meet and greet, completely optional but happy to go in as its a change of scenery and I think its always good to meet face to face, even if its just once.

Bit of an odd one though. I have been asked to do a PPDR (annual personal review). Ok...but..I am on an FTC..which ends next month (if I dont get it extended). Spoke to my Line Manager and HR have said even FTC need to do one. Must be a tick box thing. I was meant to do it when I started but he wasnt aware soI have to do a PPDR for the year just gone and one for the year coming.

I dont mind, but if I end up finishing up in a months time, whats the point? What do I put down?

Anyone else on an FTC had to do the same?

My LM is aware of the absurdity of me doing one so has just said put down whatever and he will sign it off. Not like I get a pay rise or anything out of it.
    Will just be a HR tick box exercise. FTC are classed as employees in all respects except there is an agreed end date. So HR will have it on a list to be done. If they don't do it they would be discriminating you.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I turned down over 130k at one of the large consulting shops.... Bollocks to being a slave to the directors/partners.

Two remote outside IR35 contracts is the way to go. My ass will be semi-retired on a Spanish island once the kids are out of their expensive schools.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Loving my new perm role. Nice new desk chair provided for home, top of the line laptop with B&O speakers, welcome pack, etc.

As much as I miss the variety of contracting, it's nice having a break from living out of a suitcase.
      Some guy in this thread talking about his high-end laptop and welcome pack... **** that noise!
      Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 24 May 2022, 12:04.

Comment

16 months in permieland and I'm done. Back to contracting in 4 weeks.

Permieland experience was very good and everything went according to plans. I tolerated the lower income in exchange to learning some new skills which granted me a nice contract at a good rate (best rate I've had so far, even if it's inside ir35). Exactly what I wanted: public sector contract where nothing is delivered in time, this should lead to a steady flow of dough for the foreseeable. Happy days.

Comment

PCTNN you're a designer, if I recall? How are you finding the market?

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
            PCTNN you're a designer, if I recall? How are you finding the market?
            Pretty good if you're based in London or willing to go to London 1 day a week. Until say 6 months ago 100% remote was pretty much the norm, now 80% of the contracts wants you in 1 day a week.

Outside ir35 contracts are scarce, tend to be shorter (2-3 months) and with rates lower than they were 5 years ago. Inside ir35 contracts rates are the same as 5 years ago.

So yeah, the market for UX/UI Design is not brilliant but if you're good and have good relationships with agents and clients you can still make a living.

Comment

There is a bit of presenteeism creeping back into the industry now. Good on principled contractors for voting with their feet against such rubbish.

And nothing says "we have no money for pay rises and we care about staff morale" like shelling out hundreds of thousands of pounds for commercial property that no one wants.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                There is a bit of presenteeism creeping back into the industry now. Good on principled contractors for voting with their feet against such rubbish.

And nothing says "we have no money for pay rises and we care about staff morale" like shelling out hundreds of thousands of pounds for commercial property that no one wants.
                How one sided huh?
                I guess you live far in the northern nowherelands, love the WFH trend but hate to realise full WFH was always a temporary thing, and as soon as the next recession comes your a** is going to be in 3-4x days a week ! Or you'll just get outsourced !

Comment

Originally posted by bballer3221 View Post
                  ... hate to realise full WFH was always a temporary thing...
                  Thanks, JRM.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by bballer3221 View Post

How one sided huh?
                    I guess you live far in the northern nowherelands, love the WFH trend but hate to realise full WFH was always a temporary thing, and as soon as the next recession comes your a** is going to be in 3-4x days a week ! Or you'll just get outsourced !
                    Why?

What purpose would it serve? Other than making people miserable (apart from commercial landlords of course)?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Why?

What purpose would it serve? Other than making people miserable (apart from commercial landlords of course)?
                      I guess the government will push for companies to call employees back to the office to help the economy. Even if you go to the office 1 day a week, it's probably 1 coffee and 1 lunch that you'll buy from a local business.

Comment

Working...
                      X