• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Communication with pushy client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication with pushy client?

I told my client that I'd be working on my own stuff for a week which has some overlap with a project he'd like me to start for him soon. He's been calling me every day, and like a good boy I've been picking up and giving him updates on how my related stuff is going. Yesterday I realized this was putting pressure on me to essentially be working for him instead of doing MY OWN THINGS.

I don't fault him because I never set the boundary properly (I'm new to contracting), but what do you guys suggest I do to stop this dynamic? I'm behind on my own work because of this and have lost sleep as well (I don't like feeling owned, part of the reason I left full time employment).

The way I see it, there are two options:
    1) Fix my mindset without saying anything, and next time he calls just accept the fact that I don't have an update for him because I'm not currently working for him.
    2) Communicate to him directly saying that I expect him to give me space and not call me unless I'm working on a project for him.

Any tips?

Originally posted by prohobo View Post
    I told my client that I'd be working on my own stuff for a week which has some overlap with a project he'd like me to start for him soon. He's been calling me every day, and like a good boy I've been picking up and giving him updates on how my related stuff is going. Yesterday I realized this was putting pressure on me to essentially be working for him instead of doing MY OWN THINGS.

I don't fault him because I never set the boundary properly (I'm new to contracting), but what do you guys suggest I do to stop this dynamic? I'm behind on my own work because of this and have lost sleep as well (I don't like feeling owned, part of the reason I left full time employment).

The way I see it, there are two options:
    1) Fix my mindset without saying anything, and next time he calls just accept the fact that I don't have an update for him because I'm not currently working for him.
    2) Communicate to him directly saying that I expect him to give me space and not call me unless I'm working on a project for him.

Any tips?
    have you signed a contract? And is the start date in the future?
    If not then it seems reasonable for him to expect you to do his bidding.

Oh. And it doesn't sound like you left employment. Is this an inside role/PAYE? If it is then you should probably do what your employer says or risk geing fired.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's not an inside role/PAYE. I'm paid by the hour, and have completed two projects for him under a general un-timed contract. And yes, I'd rather end the contract than have someone breathing down my neck after we agreed I'd be taking a short break between projects.

Comment

It's not an inside role/PAYE. I'm paid by the hour, and have completed two projects for him under a general un-timed contract. And yes, I'd rather end the contract than have someone breathing down my neck after we agreed I'd be taking a short break between projects.
        I suggest an honest and open discussion with him. If you're willing to walk then it should be a simple conversation.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The customer pays your bills. If you tell him to go away he might and not come back. I would patiently tell him everyday that you haven't made any progress and stop worrying about it. Perhaps you can do a bit of token work, such as look at the documents for an hour or so for the sake of good will.

It's a good idea to learn not to get wound up when someone is difficult. Getting frustrated and angry is unavoidable in the moment that someone is winding you up, but calming down quickly and being emotionally distant is something you should aim to learn. There are lots of difficult customers out there.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 25 March 2021, 11:05.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

My solicitor also charges by the hour which includes taking phone calls. Tot the time up spent talking to him and giving updates and when it hits an hour send him an invoice. He'll stop calling so quick after that.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              The customer pays your bills. If you tell him to go away he might and not come back. I would patiently tell him everyday that you haven't made any progress and stop worrying about it. Perhaps you can do a bit of token work, such as look at the documents for an hour or so for the sake of good will.

It's a good idea to learn not to get wound up when someone is difficult. Getting frustrated and angry is unavoidable in the moment that someone is winding you up, but calming down quickly and being emotionally distant is something you should aim to learn. There are lots of difficult customers out there.
              Thanks for the reply, he's actually a good client, but I have my boundaries which I failed to set. I'm really good at what I do, and diligent about the work, but I also work a little differently from most people. It's emotionally draining and unproductive to me to be in the mindset of being accountable to someone unless we're in the depths of a task I was assigned.

Anyways, I think you're right that I need to emotionally distance myself from it and treat it for what it is: some dude calling me off-hours because he's excited about his own project.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, he's actually a good client, but I have my boundaries which I failed to set. I'm really good at what I do, and diligent about the work, but I also work a little differently from most people. It's emotionally draining and unproductive to me to be in the mindset of being accountable to someone unless we're in the depths of a task I was assigned.

Anyways, I think you're right that I need to emotionally distance myself from it and treat it for what it is: some dude calling me off-hours because he's excited about his own project.
                One recommendation I would make is prepare a statement and just repeat it verbatim everyday. He might simply get bored of listening to it. Make the statement very boring and inconsequential. Any signs of nervousness will provide entertainment and should be avoided.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Clients like this come with the territory.
                  Options:
                  1) Tell the client your other clients are none of his business
                  2)Tell the clients you will start charging for these calls
                  3) I love this one. Tell the client his constant calls are pushing back your start on his work
                  4) Sack the client
                  5) Suck it up buttercup!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Yes, next time tell them you're not available, without any details. You're giving them too much information. It's not their business what you do outside the time they pay you for.

If you already agreed on a start date but now you keep pushing it back, agree on a new start date and make sure you will be available from then onwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X