• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking multiple contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnM View Post

I would hazard a guess you aren't giving 100% and a full 7.5 hours per day to each client which I am sorry but is wrong
    There are 168 hours in a week.

Thats enough to service 3 full time clients and still have almost 8 hours a day left over.

Comment

I would hazard a guess you aren't giving 100% and a full 7.5 hours per day to each client which I am sorry but is wrong
      It depends on the contract... I've done three roles concurrently:

1. Using up leftover days on a PO to give ad hoc consultancy - I just totted up the hours worked until the days ran out
      2. Fixed price contract that had quarterly payments and a defined scope for each period. How many hours I worked was up to me
      3. Part-time role that only needed three days a week but, as long as key meetings were attended, when I did those three days was up to me. As best as possible, I fixed those three days to make life easier for the people I was working with, and help manage expectations with the other two clients.

Your assumption is based on a traditional BoS contract, not proper B2B engagement

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

now that is stupid to suggest that. At least NLUK had some valuable suggestions.

I have been doing double/triple bubble for 2 years solid now. It's not for everyone. But £250k turnover builds a decent warchest. And seeing as I've been nowhere for 12 months it's worked out very well.
        And you've probably factored that in to your business model, the clients are onboard, you deliver products not services and so on. It can happen but is a rare beast.

The raft of questions we have had in the last two months are just bum on seat day rate contractors being offered something and think because they are WFH they can pull the wool over their clients eyes, nothing more.

We've had something like four of these in the last six weeks or so. That's more than in the whole time I remember which speaks volumes.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have done this, had client A during day and client B were happy with a few hours in evening and weekends. Ran for three weeks, but I was knackered at the end of it.

Wouldn't have liked to do it for any longer.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

again you're making pronouncements from on high without know WTF you are talking about.
            None of my clients are paying for me full time. They are all aware. I balance my time.
            Just cos you're a bum on seat contractor doesn't mean we all are.

And if I plan my work well, then I have more than one client paying for the same work as they all want similar. If I do a design for a solution I don't rewrite it entirely. Every customer who uses it pays full price for it. Even if I only have to spend 2 hours making it work for them.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

again you're making pronouncements from on high without know WTF you are talking about.
              None of my clients are paying for me full time. They are all aware. I balance my time.
              Just cos you're a bum on seat contractor doesn't mean we all are.

And if I plan my work well, then I have more than one client paying for the same work as they all want similar. If I do a design for a solution I don't rewrite it entirely. Every customer who uses it pays full price for it. Even if I only have to spend 2 hours making it work for them.
              Reusing design patterns is just sensible business.

I remember when I used to do loads in Excel - analysis and reporting stuff with VBA and formulae all over the wazoo. My client mentioned something about the code I produced being their IP and I said they couldn't claim that as I'd taken it from work I'd done before for other clients and just tailored it to the solution I was being asked to deliver, and I would continue to reuse in other scenarios where it could be applied.

Reuse instead of reinvent

You don't see Ford redesigning a car from scratch everytime someone wants to buy one...

Comment

It's what those offshore companies do. And unlike them, if the client is getting what they want, who cares whether you do it in 7.5 hours or 1? Professional working day works any way you like it to.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Expected to work 9.5, 7.5 hours a day is typical T&M which we as contractors really need to get away from... milestone payments properly defined mean multiple contracts are better facilitated because it doesn't matter when you do the work as long as you hit the milestones.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It's what those offshore companies do. And unlike them, if the client is getting what they want, who cares whether you do it in 7.5 hours or 1? Professional working day works any way you like it to.
                    That's true but that is all described in their contract and the way they engage with the client, which generally isn't a 9 to 5 T&M which we have. I think you are right in the first half but I don't think the prof working day comment is strictly true. Prof working day works any way the contract dictates, not any way YOU like it. If you are contracted to delivery 8 hours work then yeah PWD gives you the flexibility to do that in a way that suits you but you still deliver to the client. It doesn't mean you do 4 hours when the client (rightly or wrongly) is looking for 8 hours work.

So when you say anyway you like it to is within the constraints of the contract and client expectation.

Problem is, as many say, the way our contracts are written. When we get away from 8 hours bum on seats then the world will be a different place. At the moment it isn't.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I went through my entire contracting career being told by managers that they didn't care what the actual hours were, so long as the job got done. I understand that for Bums on Seats it's somewhat different.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X