• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today is my last ever contracting day!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is my last ever contracting day!

And what a ride it has been, ever since I joined CUK as a young lad.

When I first started jumped from permiedom I said to the Mrs that I would be happy to get even just 6 months from contracting - that was what I needed to at least cover my risk factor in the short term. Never in my wildest imagination did I think the journey would last 15 years. It's been good, it's been challenging, sometimes fun, sometimes boring, often lonely. But the invoices got paid.

I've started liquidation procedures. I doubt I'll contract again: I have a decent permie job lined up. Can you imagine paid holidays ... I forgot what those feel like, I won't know what to do with them! I'll work in this job for a couple of years, just to get it out of my system, and will then decide whether to semi-retire at 50 or do something more meaningful for work. I have no set plan, and I don't need one.

I've never met you guys but it's been great having you here as a sounding board. Thank you all for being there, from the tech help to the career advice, from stock tips to crypto doom, from BTL to BLT, from Cupid to Covid. CUK has provided us the colleagues we don't have at work

"You might remember me from such threads as" Please put more jokes here - Contractor UK Bulletin Board , and I'll always appreciate those who have made it last so long.

I'll be around, if I can help with topics I'm clued up on then just let me know. Best of luck y'all

No need to go! Maybe you could start a kind of "view from the other side of the fence" type thread?

Comment

All the best! You're, of course, not banned for being a permie you know And you should bring that tickly cough along to a CUK meet up...

Comment

Half the regulars are permies now. But at under 50, you're still a young lad.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Lucky b*****d. We hate you, f**k off.

But really. Enjoy the job and good luck. Pop back from time to time and get yourself to a meet. We've got ex contractor perms come along. Great set of people and a good laugh.

Maybe see you soon.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

When I first started jumped from permiedom I said to the Mrs that I would be happy to get even just 6 months from contracting - that was what I needed to at least cover my risk factor in the short term. Never in my wildest imagination did I think the journey would last 15 years. It's been good, it's been challenging, sometimes fun, sometimes boring, often lonely. But the invoices got paid.

I've started liquidation procedures. I doubt I'll contract again: I have a decent permie job lined up. Can you imagine paid holidays ... I forgot what those feel like, I won't know what to do with them! I'll work in this job for a couple of years, just to get it out of my system, and will then decide whether to semi-retire at 50 or do something more meaningful for work. I have no set plan, and I don't need one.

I've never met you guys but it's been great having you here as a sounding board. Thank you all for being there, from the tech help to the career advice, from stock tips to crypto doom, from BTL to BLT, from Cupid to Covid. CUK has provided us the colleagues we don't have at work

"You might remember me from such threads as" Please put more jokes here - Contractor UK Bulletin Board , and I'll always appreciate those who have made it last so long.

I'll be around, if I can help with topics I'm clued up on then just let me know. Best of luck y'all
            You are not the only one leaving contractordom.

I am going permanent myself once again in March. I hope your base salary is good for you in the next couple of years. As for whatever next, I have been trying to build a sideline business or create a product to sell that I don't have to be there in-person for.

Unlike you, I have accrued financial negatives other than the flipping mortgage. However, I am in so much a better position than some people, with hearsay, e.g. Land Discovery's and other big SUV marques with ultimate balloon payments waiting to hit them hard, with extended personal loans, with commited school fees and the sum total debts of over £100,000.

Good luck and I also plan to follow the contracting forums from time to time.
            Last edited by rocktronAMP; 26 February 2021, 17:18. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I will miss you Chimpmaster - Can I ask whether you need to work and the income from work or whether you want to work to keep busy? I m close to throwing in the towel and have been for a while but I m a little younger at 40 and I have some passive income which means I dont really need to work

Just wondering whether you have quit because you got fed up and if so why work perm or whether you need the cash

Have a fab weekend

Comment

You can checkout, but...

Comment

I went perm three weeks ago after 33 years contracting. Currently in the process of MVLing then when that's all wrapped up I'll take a view as to when I retire (which won't be long). My permie job is well paid and I can work remotely even after COVID. Might even go down to three days a week for a bit.

I wish you well.

...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I went perm three weeks ago after 33 years contracting.
                    Wow, 33 years of contracting and then going perm. That will be a culture shock!

Comment

Working...
                    X