• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract offered with no interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract offered with no interview

recruiter contacted me, offered a contract at a ok rate. starting monday. outside IR35.

first week is an immediate notice and after the usual one week.

is this normal? was somebody in a contract like that?

Had it myself in the past, never been kicked off a site yet, think of the week as your interview

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Forget notice periods. If they want you out in the second week they can withdraw the work and ask you not to come in until the end of the contract. Outcome is the same.

I'd be concerned about not having an interview. It's your chance to grill them and make sure you even want the work. Christ knows what you are walking in to.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The most minimal interview I've had was a friend calling me, asking if I'd join her team and saying "just don't be crap" (as if!).

However, that was working with someone I knew.

The next most miminal was a 20 minute telephone chat on the Wednesday for a Monday start.

I'd want to talk to someone about the role, other than an agent, but as mentioned above the first week is an interview. Just make sure you get any timesheets, or other evidence required for payment, signed off to make sure you get paid if you're subsequently let go. I'd almost consider cheekily asking for week one up front.

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
          recruiter contacted me, offered a contract at a ok rate. starting monday. outside IR35.

first week is an immediate notice and after the usual one week.

is this normal? was somebody in a contract like that?
          Well you don't know the client and the client has never worked with you before

Easy in, easy out - assume you will be binned, accept the job and keep interviewing for the next 3 months or so, eventually the trust will come.
          Last edited by rocktronAMP; 29 January 2021, 14:50. Reason: grammar

Comment

I've had a "can you start Monday" call, those are the best gigs.

The more rounds of interview, the crapper it is.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The most minimal interview I've had was a friend calling me, asking if I'd join her team and saying "just don't be crap" (as if!).

However, that was working with someone I knew.

The next most miminal was a 20 minute telephone chat on the Wednesday for a Monday start.

I'd want to talk to someone about the role, other than an agent, but as mentioned above the first week is an interview. Just make sure you get any timesheets, or other evidence required for payment, signed off to make sure you get paid if you're subsequently let go. I'd almost consider cheekily asking for week one up front.
              yeah, thinking now a bit more about it, that's the main worry. gonnaask for upfront payment

as mention above I am seeing it like an interview. even better, fairer. i am not particularly good with traditional interviews, excitation clouds my brain

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                I've had a "can you start Monday" call, those are the best gigs.

The more rounds of interview, the crapper it is.
                100% agree. Best contract I've had was on the back of a 23 minutes phone interview.

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
                  yeah, thinking now a bit more about it, that's the main worry. gonnaask for upfront payment

as mention above I am seeing it like an interview. even better, fairer. i am not particularly good with traditional interviews, excitation clouds my brain
                  I think she was being a bit tongue in cheek (I hope). Not a chance in hell you'll get upfront payment and could flag you as a trouble maker. I personally wouldn't.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My second proper contract was like that. 30 contractors all started the same day.
                    By the end of week 1 there were 25
                    Month 1 - 20

2 years later it was around 15.

10 years later 2 guys were still there (not me I'm not that stupid. I left after 2.5 years at the end of a large project).
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X