• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 Rates vs Equivalent Perm Salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance ... but is that correct?

If a permie accepts a salary of 90k then that does not include Employers NI and they don't have to worry about it. Whereas the Contractor through the Umbrella Company has to effectively pay that Employer NI .... basically the contractor is employing an employer (Umbrella Company) who make it appear that the Umbrella Company is paying the Employer NI but its the contractor actually paying it.

I would have though that a permie salary of £90K is way better than a contractor invoicing his Umbrella Company for £90k ... apart from the employer NI, there are pensions and maybe bonus's involved?

Apologies if I have misunderstood.
    No you haven't but I was being deliberately simplistic. For one thing the actual comparison is Cost of Employment vs Budget cost: the CoE for mid-range staff upwards is anything up to 100% on top of salary if you include everything, that for the contractor is their rate plus all the mandatory overheads like ErNICs which are way under 100%. That's why comparing perm to contract is difficult, and why far too many people think contractors cost more per day than permies. (It's also why the HMRC argument over disguised employees is specious: if you get paid out of a project budget you can't be a permie**...)

*For one example the average employee is only about 80% efficient, given they have all sorts of interruptions to their working day. Contractors are pretty much 100% efficient, since that's all they do (or should be doing...).

** And before someone jumps in, the line in the project budget for a permie resource includes the CoE figure, so the cost aren't double-counted and the permie is still paid out of revenue.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      No you haven't but I was being deliberately simplistic. For one thing the actual comparison is Cost of Employment vs Budget cost: the CoE for mid-range staff upwards is anything up to 100% on top of salary if you include everything, that for the contractor is their rate plus all the mandatory overheads like ErNICs which are way under 100%. That's why comparing perm to contract is difficult, and why far too many people think contractors cost more per day than permies. (It's also why the HMRC argument over disguised employees is specious: if you get paid out of a project budget you can't be a permie**...)

*For one example the average employee is only about 80% efficient, given they have all sorts of interruptions to their working day. Contractors are pretty much 100% efficient, since that's all they do (or should be doing...).

** And before someone jumps in, the line in the project budget for a permie resource includes the CoE figure, so the cost aren't double-counted and the permie is still paid out of revenue.
      On ** the point I would make is how on earth does HMRC tell which pot of money the resource is being paid from?

So given that HMRC are the ones who lose out when people aren't employees best make everyone an employee.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        On ** the point I would make is how on earth does HMRC tell which pot of money the resource is being paid from?

So given that HMRC are the ones who lose out when people aren't employees best make everyone an employee.
        Very true...

Which then begs the question about IPSE and assorted trade unions being remarkably restrained about the creation of this new concept of a disposable FTE with no rights.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I’d like to understand this better myself as I am on the verge of accepting a role and can choose insideir35 or permanent but not outside which is what I was always used to

if 500 per day equals 90k perm then what would 600 and 700 translate to ?

i am not interested in sickeness cover or perm benefits (which I think are overstated) but rather pure take home pay after tax assuming for both you put 40K in pension amd you work for both 230 days a year.

that would really have finalise this thread

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
            if 500 per day equals 90k perm then what would 600 and 700 translate to ?
            Are you still going on about this?

How's Switzerland and tax-dodging with your parents/family/mates?

£500 per day is about £75k perm, unless you are a permitractor or have some high risk tax moves going on, or other funding (such as "I own 20 houses, so all my contracting money goes into an electric car lease for my nanny, a trust fund for the kids and a pension")

Last year, under your old user ID, you harped on about £650 per day being the equivalent of £150k permanent salary. Do you think you could stop dragging up 6 month old posts to keep repeating your claims and trolling? Or do you want me to stop you doing it?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Or do you want me to stop you doing it?
              Can I vote for this option please?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X