• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Your Best Rate And Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    True,
    I was just pointing out that "saving over £250k" wouldn't be an affordable way to live.
    Not with a take home pay < 125k p.a.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
      1500 day?? Wow that is something indeed

Can you confirm industry and sort of work and years of experience

I always thought those figures were reserved for Lab49 / Accenture
      That's kinda the point; you can hire accenture that'll send you a bunch of university students to prattle off terms and patterns they don't fully understand only to hit the orgs governance process and turn "simple" into unachievable.

I work in and around DevOps / DevSecOps. It was an InfoSec dept. for a retail org right after a breach.

Year before I worked, via a consultancy, for a bank on £1300.

Almost maintained £1500 via an insurance company where I met the CTO, CDO and CISO together, but the CFO blocked the contract due to brexit, so ended up somewhere else on a measly £1k.

Comment

<modsnip>

On a serious note, my best was because of the way they multiplied. Day was pretty good anyway for what I do £500.

First day, we want people to work 7pm to 7pm. Feck. No way that £500 is looking good now. Then they said they want some to work nights 7-7. What! Then saturdays and sundays too. There was almost a riot as you can imagine.

BUT they offered 1.5x for the 12 hours. OK. 1.5 times if it was a night shift. Then 2.0 if it was sat-sun. All cumulative. Worked out 1.5x1.5x2.0 if you worked a friday, saturday or sunday night. So 4.5x normal rate. That was good.

Best thing was you did bugger all in the night. They a gym and xbox, free food and most people had a kip.
        Last edited by NotAllThere; 18 July 2020, 09:56. Reason: Not suitable for the professional forum
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Best gigs have been fixed price ones (also the worst ). Best turnover was last year, but probably the least enjoyable year too.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            <modsnip>

On a serious note, my best was because of the way they multiplied. Day was pretty good anyway for what I do £500.

First day, we want people to work 7pm to 7pm. Feck. No way that £500 is looking good now. Then they said they want some to work nights 7-7. What! Then saturdays and sundays too. There was almost a riot as you can imagine.

BUT they offered 1.5x for the 12 hours. OK. 1.5 times if it was a night shift. Then 2.0 if it was sat-sun. All cumulative. Worked out 1.5x1.5x2.0 if you worked a friday, saturday or sunday night. So 4.5x normal rate. That was good.

Best thing was you did bugger all in the night. They a gym and xbox, free food and most people had a kip.
            That sounds like the dream

One of our DBAs had a similar contract at a Bank. He was paid to 'keep an eye on things' over the weekend (remote) on silly money, he ended up doing property refurbishment at the same time. Made a pretty penny from both.

Comment

Steadily gone up in day rate since I started in 2011. From £275 to £650 now. Mostly contracts around the M4 corridor and now in Swindon. This is my first contract where I am working in Cloud IAAS automation (terraform et al) deploying enterprise wide shared services in AWS and Azure. Quite different to my previous .NET Core/Angular full stack dev contracts. Have been in back to back contracts since I started with the exception of dec-feb 2012 when I was on bench. Looking to get some AWS architect certs done if time permits. In a SOW contract now, so a bit different to the day rate concept, but Outside IR35.
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

1/1/99 three days doing feck all.
                12 hour dayshifts @£200 PH.
                crazy.

Comment

Ironically my best rate was this year, before COVID where I was earning near enough double my average. No idea of my best year - I sincerely don't measure it financially. Most fun year is easy - 2014. Lots of really interesting work, had a retainer with one client and just generally a good laugh.

Comment

Best year: 2019 / beginning of 2020
                    Rate: £850 p/d with some weekend work

Worked like an absolute slave for that. Now on a much more humble £500 p/d with extension offered until December 31st.

It's not as much dough, but the work / life balance is good. Also gotta take what you can get nowadays.

Comment

£800 at the beginning of 2020 - then I got canned because of Covid.

Comment

Working...
                      X