• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dark side calls.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
    So you have to wait until Dave retires/leaves/gets hit by a bus.
    Take a year out and become a bus driver.

Comment

deleted

Comment

interesting thread - shut down options

Some interesting/understandable cautionary views.
        No doubt a decision many are wrestling with.

To aid forward planning what is tricky is a lack of any unambiguous confirmation of various shut down options (MVL vs strike off) & their future impact

I know these have been done to death & i may have missed a key thread or sticky, but seems to be much contradictory info on the web (& this great forum) & some accountants cannot be fully replied upon it seems for accurate info...

Perhaps this is in the wrong section but can anyone in the know clarify:

1. For a voluntary strike off (not an mvl liquidation) where Dividends have reduced profit to <25k and a capital distribution (with or without ER claimed) is then taken, do the TAAR (or any other) two year rules apply to prohibit opening another company without losing the capital gain advantage?

2. For a shut down via MVL, if permiedom or semi-retirement or job hunting doesnt work out, can you def come back via an Umbrella within 2 years without any issues on this score?

Even if intention is firmly to shut down & go perm or retire, understanding the options clearly helps
        Last edited by Mr_Z; 1 February 2020, 11:23.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          You know you'll regret it, don't you?

You've heard that going back to perm never lasts more than a year. I'd heard that too, but I thought that I would be different. Oh yes.
          As someone who has walked this road let me tell you how it panned out for me.

I'd got a bit tired of being away from home so often. I also felt that I had made enough money contracting and as I was offered a permie job that was commutable from home I took it. I thought I'd do it for a final few years as I eased gracefully into retirement. Seemed perfect, right?
          I lasted a year before I had to quit too. Not had to as in 'forced out' but for my own sanity.

If you've been contracting for a while becoming a permie again is just horrid. You have probably forgotten what it was like: team meetings, lack of decision-making, needing to consult on everything (getting every brain in the game, even the dumb ones), absurd appraisals (I'm old school: if you don't want me, tell me to **** off and I'll go. But please don't torment me with developmental reviews and how I can improve my performance. Just **** right off!), team building activities, grievances, forced interactions with arseholes across the company, playing corporate games, woke whingeing at its finest, and generally becoming a suit, a drone, a Borg.
          Also, you can't get anything done at all. You identify a training need for one of your staff, say, then spend months fighting HR, budgets, the training liaison manager or whoever to arrange the training and eventually just give up because the bureaucracy is impenetrable.
          You want a new USB? As a contractor, you ask the client to provide one and if they don't, so what? Their ball, their game. But as an employee, it's now your ball and your game. You have to fight procurement and budgets, IT and IS security and if you're lucky you may get one in a month...all for a ******* USB!

You have to deal with staff and all of their petty tulipe, such as -
          I need to work from home ALL ******* DAY because, well, take your pick: My dog's ill/I'm a lazy ****/If you complain I'll go straight to HR and mire you in a grievance/the precedent is set/INSET day at the school/I have a hole in my arse
          You asking me to actually do some ******* work is putting me under pressure. I feel harassed. Here come the unions and HR to tie you up in grievances and paperwork for the rest of your life......
          Why have you ranked person B above me? Is it because I am the youngest/oldest/fattest/thinnest? You're discriminating against young/old/fat/thin people! [Real answer - because you're a lazy twat who does **** all but complain]

Honestly, all permies do is ******* whinge. As a contractor it ain't your problem. As their boss, it is now your problem.

Come back in 12 months and let us know how you got on.
          That was hilarious.

Spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Woolworths.
            Marconi.
            Polly Peck.
            Carillion.

That's off the top of my head so there's likely quite a lot more.
            Polly peck.
            You can do SOOO much better than that!

Comment

Dark side calls here too!!

£450 per day (6months) vs £70k + Benefits

What should I go for? ...been contracting for 12 years....been a bit patchy last couple of years though! !

Comment

Originally posted by Appydaze View Post

What should I go for? ...been contracting for 12 years....been a bit patchy last couple of years though! !
                If it's outside, then I'd go for the 450 p/d for six months all day long.
                If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by Appydaze View Post

If its been patchy last few years it's going to be an absolutely nightmare come April. On that alone I say 70k. These perm gigs won't be around post April so the smart move is to bag them early.

You only need to be off 3 or 4 months this year and you'll be earning more tham the contract gig.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If its been patchy last few years it's going to be an absolutely nightmare come April. On that alone I say 70k. These perm gigs won't be around post April so the smart move is to bag them early.

You only need to be off 3 or 4 months this year and you'll be earning more tham the contract gig.

I guess so, probably worth lying low and being in something, till the market works it’s self out........decisions decisions decisions....

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                      If it's outside, then I'd go for the 450 p/d for six months all day long.
                      Haven’t clarified that as yet, :-) , but I’m making the assumption that it will go inside after April.

Comment

Working...
                      X