• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dark side calls.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smells fishy that a company would be that dumb.

You’d be outranking some of the top execs on that packet or you’re pretty big cheese yourself.

Either way you’d be dumb not to take the Perm role.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
      Smells fishy that a company would be that dumb.

You’d be outranking some of the top execs on that packet or you’re pretty big cheese yourself.

Either way you’d be dumb not to take the Perm role.

Enjoy!
      Maybe the OP should get the company credit checked and make sure they're reasonably solvent

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Maybe the OP should get the company credit checked and make sure they're reasonably solvent
        I would hope so. FTSE 100 company. If they go tits up, this country would be in a lot of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by fargaman View Post
          I would hope so. FTSE 100 company. If they go tits up, this country would be in a lot of trouble.
          Woolworths.
          Marconi.
          Polly Peck.
          Carillion.

That's off the top of my head so there's likely quite a lot more.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

long time lurker here.
            decided to make first contribution. Have been contracting since 2006. mostly in banking/finance in the city.
            enjoying current gig. civilised working hours, good people, half hour commute. day rate £600.
            loved the contracting life. the independence etc. never struggled for work.
            however, the IR35 crunch approaches!
            my client is blanketing all contractors within IR35.

have been offered a perm or fixed contract position. total package (including pension contributions) is 143k
            + health care, life insurance, income protection and various bits and pieces.

either that, or go brolly or have a holiday over the summer with my family thanks to big warchest.

am very tempted to take what looks like a no brainer offer. what do you do?
            Go full permie? take a year fixed contract and watch the market? brolly? Holiday?
            Take it and give the person offering it the best BJ of his life (or women equivalent) - spanking offer

Don’t forget your 2 weeks sick leave a year also bringing it up to £150K

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Take the 143K but clearly when they find out their mistake your either going to be asked to reduce or they will make your position go away do not expect to earn that for long as someone will notice sooner or later (probably before the offer is ever formally sent HR or compliance will find out the error!).

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                Take the 143K but clearly when they find out their mistake your either going to be asked to reduce or they will make your position go away do not expect to earn that for long as someone will notice sooner or later (probably before the offer is ever formally sent HR or compliance will find out the error!).
                Indeed when program director finds out some ex contractor yonk is getting 40K more than him - he is toast

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

<snip>
                  day rate £600.

have been offered a perm or fixed contract position. total package (including pension contributions) is 143k
                  + health care, life insurance, income protection and various bits and pieces.
                  <snip>
                  I note this is 'total package', but this sounds like a very senior role. What are you actually doing?

Keep in mind permies have no security until the 2 year mark, and even then it's realistically 3 or 4 years these days for any reasonable redundancy payment. Regardless, I suggest taking this if you're happy enough with the role.

What area are you working in and at what level? Director?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    I note this is 'total package', but this sounds like a very senior role. What are you actually doing?

Keep in mind permies have no security until the 2 year mark, and even then it's realistically 3 or 4 years these days for any reasonable redundancy payment. Regardless, I suggest taking this if you're happy enough with the role.

What area are you working in and at what level? Director?
                    It sounds to me as though they've simply FUBARed with their offer, so the OP should probably accept it. A day rate of 600 would normally fall far south of 143k as a permie role. As the OP alluded to, this wasn't a market-based calculation, rather some sort of contract-to-permie mapping and they probably even FUBARed that. If you slot it into something like this, it's in the same ballpark:

But that's a literal equivalence after tax and is otherwise a fantasy so, either they will backtrack, or it's happy days for the OP (assuming they can stomach being a permie ).
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 11:26.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see what they include in the £143K package, eg, does it include a 20-30% bonus that is dependant on you (and the company) meeting its targets. I've seen some packages where they include every benefit you get or could use (eg, subsidised staff canteen, that's worth £1500 a year, include that, health benefits, £2000 premiums, include that etc etc etc).

Or are you saying the £143K is salary + pension contributions only?

But, unless they are at it, and its actually base £70K + plus lots of benefits, bit their hand off.

Comment

Working...
                      X