• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rate reduction after interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did you contact the client and tell them exactly what had happened?
    Ditto that - I would have done the same.

Comment

Did you contact the client and tell them exactly what had happened?
      Nope as I did not even like the hiring manager he was very obnoxious! This IB are toxic to work at so no big loss career wise. The agent lied to cover herself after she assumed I would accept the lower rate & even accepted the role on my behalf without my permission! Even then they would not up the rate to the original offer so I was amused when it fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Nope as I did not even like the hiring manager he was very obnoxious! This IB are toxic to work at so no big loss career wise. The agent lied to cover herself after she assumed I would accept the lower rate & even accepted the role on my behalf without my permission! Even then they would not up the rate to the original offer so I was amused when it fell apart.
        Fair enough. To be honest I'd have done it anyway just to shaft the agent for that kind of attitude but it could have lead to a resolution which sounds like you didn't want.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fair enough. To be honest I'd have done it anyway just to shaft the agent for that kind of attitude but it could have lead to a resolution which sounds like you didn't want.
          Manager was a total idiot so I figure after agent messed me around I would just not proceed to make him reconsider his agency choice! To this day the same IB & same hiring manager use the same agency & outsourcer to get their staff though I think they are stuck on a certain price point & just not willing to budge. This means in effect anyone they hire is within 6 months 10% poorer due to their default policy of rate reductions if you stay for 6 months!!

Comment

It usually isn't the agent because they just want to close the deal and cutting the rate after the interview is the best way to lose it. However it is irrelevant who is responsible at the end of the day it's up to you, it's a negotiation. If you're not too worried about losing the contract then you can play hardball, if you're getting nervous because the market is tough, cave or go halfway.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 August 2018, 13:36.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              "the rate is out of budget". Was it you or the agency who suggested that rate?
              The agency told me this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                It usually isn't the agent because they just want to close the deal and cutting the rate after the interview is the best way to lose it. However it is irrelevant who is responsible at the end of the day it's up to you, it's a negotiation. If you're not too worried about losing the contract then you can play hardball, if you're getting nervous because the market is tough, cave or go halfway.
                I'd disagree with that. Rate chop at offer is a fairly common agency trick and it's the best time to stick it in and when the contractor is least likely to say no.

Comment

This not having happened to me and hardly ever (hooray) worked through agents this might be overly naive but... after rejecting the new rate and they come back to you and insist it's the client not them, can you ask for proof of that e.g. an email?
                  If they're on a fixed rate the point is probably moot since they would be cutting their own rate - unless the client is using multiple agencies (again is that common?)
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    This not having happened to me and hardly ever (hooray) worked through agents this might be overly naive but... after rejecting the new rate and they come back to you and insist it's the client not them, can you ask for proof of that e.g. an email?
                    If they're on a fixed rate the point is probably moot since they would be cutting their own rate - unless the client is using multiple agencies (again is that common?)
                    Not really. What the agreement and rates are between client and agent have nothing to do with us. It's highly unlikely an agent will divulge communications between them both even if everything is kosher. You just have to negotiate and go as far as you are willing and see who blinks first.

Agency's tend to be in fixed rate because they are sole supplier and handle a lot of contractors. I'd be surprised if any client using multiple agencies has fixed commission agreements with any of them. It's unlikely there will be the volume of work to make it worth it for the agency.

Comment

Happened me in my second contract. 'The client felt given my lack of experience, 25 pd less was the offer'. I was desperate and agreed with the agreement to review at renewal. I got the 25 back at renewal but I'm certain that it was a lie by the agent. I learned a valuable lesson and it hasn't happened since.

Comment

Working...
                      X