• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency moving payment date - Easter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency moving payment date - Easter

New year, new gig. Early on, agency sends me this year's time-sheet to payment date schedule. (Last Friday of the month)

Fwd 2 months and someone at the agency has noticed the 4 day Easter shutdown includes the last Friday of March.

Email arrives explaining that due to the bank holidays, payments will arrive on the 4th April.

Self bill invoice will be dated 1/3/18 and the terms are 30 days.

I get it that they don't want to pay early. I get that BACS is 3 days, so I understand why it would be the 4th.

But FFS its not like Easter is a new thing!

Questions:

Is it worth a moan?
    Worth sending them an invoice for late payment? (terms 30 days, no mention of working or otherwise)
    Should I just get out more !?

Mj

The latter.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Seriously? They’re going to pay you in 34 days rather than 30 , due to a BANK holiday, and you want a fight? Get real....

To answer your questions...
      It’s worth a moan if you’re a dickhead.
      Have you calculated the interest for late payment by 4 non-working days!
      Yes.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Sweet baby Jesus. Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Seriously? They’re going to pay you in 34 days rather than 30 , due to a BANK holiday, and you want a fight? Get real....

To answer your questions...
          It’s worth a moan if you’re a dickhead.
          Have you calculated the interest for late payment by 4 non-working days!
          Yes.
          In and of itself, perhaps it's not a fight worth having.

But then again, perhaps it is. You know, to nip this kind of thing in the bud, so that an agency payment delay of 4 days this month doesn't justify a delay of 1 week next month, and a delay of 2 weeks the month after etc. etc.

Yes, it's only 4 days on this occasion, but it could well be the thin end of the wedge. I don't think I'd be quite so trusting of an agent to do the right thing by me regarding getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
            ... someone at the agency has noticed the 4 day Easter shutdown includes the last Friday of March.

Email arrives explaining that due to the bank holidays, payments will arrive on the 4th April.
            Nope, it's not a case of "someone has just noticed" it's more that they will advise you of early or late payments for whatever reason.
            It's quite common to get an email out in December advising of changes to payments. Some agents pay earlier, some pay later. In this case they are kicking off the payment on the normal day, but the agent cannot guarantee that the payment will be processed by the bank on time, so they are advising you that it might be late.

While Billy may say it's the thin end of the wedge, he's just trolling.

The statutory rate is base + 8%, which means 0.023% per day, but the agent will respond by pointing out that they advised you of the delayed payment and that the delay was not significant.
            Also, until it is actually delayed there's no point in getting worked up about it.

If it really is a big issue, then he next time you negotiate, request that they use FPS instead of BACS.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I would elect not to fight this battle.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Non issue. Move along now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The last.
                  FTFY

Get it right.

Comment