• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good reasons to work away from your home city

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Given the thread, I'd say it's pretty clear it's not for you. This is on the nicer side of "staying away" and you're still hating the idea.
    Absolutely this from me as well.

It can be harder than you think it is so if you are worried thinking about it it's going to get worse.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Well, I think it depends on how little you can do in this new place. I've always been at my fittest when staying away - actually, Swindon is a good example of that. Started the contract with an injury and could barely walk - by the end I was doing 10 - 15 miles before dinner most nights.

Also did a bit of sideline development work for a few old customers - made a couple of quid that way in my downtime.

Given the thread, I'd say it's pretty clear it's not for you. This is on the nicer side of "staying away" and you're still hating the idea.
      I don't think it's for me, no. I don't hate the place itself, I hate the distance and the problems anything going wrong with the commute would create.

It would actually keep me away from my hobbies. I box and weightlift and neither of those would be available in this location. It's a small city (more like a town) and it gets rural very quickly outside its immediate borders. The client is in a business park - which is ... well... boring.

The only thing that would make it worth my while would be having so little to do that it would focus my mind more on other opportunities - that's what I've been considering. You are right that it could be an opportunity - but I don't think it's worth it.

Thank you everyone.
      Last edited by PermieToContractorAndBack; 6 March 2018, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        The good news is that things happen in places outside London.

Where is the new gig?
        Are there any other contractors on the site?
        Will you have a car with you, or be relying on public transport?
        it's a really small place, I can't say the name of the city because it would give away the Client. It's not in the home counties.

Despite this thread, I promise I'm not a London-focused person, I've spent a lot of time in the West Country, I have family in Bath, etc (this gig is in the opposite direction).

There would be other contractors I'm very certain of that but I've been told very little about where I'd be working - I tried to get specifics - so it's impossible for me to gauge whether I'd be working with any or just permies, for example.

yes I'd be relying on public transport and taxies. I was considering taking a folding bike with me and keep it up there (easy to store) but apparently cycling there is an absolute tulip.

Comment

Mate, don't feel bad about not taking it. You're in London - there's plenty of work for you locally without having to go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
            ...Well this is it, I don't mind getting up very early on Tuesday but have no idea whether I'd be able to sneak away early on Thursday, especially for the first 2-3 months while I'm working out what's what...
            Since you're clearly not that fussed if you don't take the contract it becomes a seller's market. Lay out your terms in advance. I.e. get in late Tuesday, leave early Thursday, work like the clappers Wednesday - or whatever floats your boat.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
              it's a really small place, I can't say the name of the city because it would give away the Client. It's not in the Home Counties.
              I very much doubt that a city or town name would tell us the client. It might narrow it down to a handful of possibilities. It’s amazing in the provinces how much business there actually is.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                I very much doubt that a city or town name would tell us the client. It might narrow it down to a handful of possibilities. It’s amazing in the provinces how much business there actually is.
                Knutsford
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Regardless, it doesn't seem smart to share more information than necessary on a public forum.

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread. I have similar situation. I need to work far from home (it's a distance from Leeds to London). It's too far to go there on a daily basis. I have kids and feel a little bit overwhelmed by the view of not seeing them every day. I will be staying in London for 4 days each week. It will last at least 2 months. How do you cope with missing your family? Can you get used to it?

Comment

Get used to it - you're a contractor now.

(For those experienced contractors, this is becoming a marker to distinguish you from the newbies - anyone prepared to work away from home is becoming more marketable, at least until April next year...)
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X