• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NPPV Level 3 - Police vetting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPPV Level 3 - Police vetting.

Looking for some advice, I have an upcoming interview for a contract role with my a local police division. The role requires NPPV level 3 clearance.

I have a conviction on my record from when I was 16, it has been spent for a few years now. I also have some minor driving offences, speeding as such from when I was 17.

Now that my dirty past is out the way, does anyone have any information on NPPV and if the above is likely to cause any issues during the vetting process?

Thanks

Originally posted by kysto View Post
    Looking for some advice, I have an upcoming interview for a contract role with my a local police division. The role requires NPPV level 3 clearance.

I have a conviction on my record from when I was 16, it has been spent for a few years now. I also have some minor driving offences, speeding as such from when I was 17.

Now that my dirty past is out the way, does anyone have any information on NPPV and if the above is likely to cause any issues during the vetting process?

Thanks
    Don't worry about driving offences other than drink/dangerous driving.

As for the spent one... it depends.... If you were found guilty of molesting a 7 year old and the job is for a child liaison role then forget it.

The only way to know for sure is apply.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

NPPV3 is one level down from SC, equivalent to BPSS, in effect the highest level for non-operational roles within the police. As long as you declare everything properly there shouldn't (note - shouldn't) be a problem, but as with all clearance issues it really depends what it is you are being cleared to do.

It's worth noting in passing that this clearance may not translate to Home Office or MOD equivalents in the future, since they are vetting for different criteria.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Don't worry about driving offences other than drink/dangerous driving.

As for the spent one... it depends.... If you were found guilty of molesting a 7 year old and the job is for a child liaison role then forget it.

The only way to know for sure is apply.
        The conviction was an assault charge, I read somewhere that it's looked upon differently as I was a juvenile at the time but I've read conflicting information.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I don't think a conviction like that would ever be spent

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            I don't think a conviction like that would ever be spent
            If under 16 it might be. I'm not a lawyer.

But you'll never get off the sex-offenders register (you can get on that without even being convicted).
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              NPPV3 is one level down from SC, equivalent to BPSS, in effect the highest level for non-operational roles within the police. As long as you declare everything properly there shouldn't (note - shouldn't) be a problem, but as with all clearance issues it really depends what it is you are being cleared to do.

It's worth noting in passing that this clearance may not translate to Home Office or MOD equivalents in the future, since they are vetting for different criteria.
              Also, when you say equivalent to BPSS, i did some reading on this and my understanding is this is a package of different checks, including basic criminal disclosure - I'm from Scotland so not sure if this is the equivalent to a 'Basic Disclosure Scotland', if that is the case then I have had these in the past and they are clear as the conviction is spent.

Comment

Also, when you say equivalent to BPSS, i did some reading on this and my understanding is this is a package of different checks, including basic criminal disclosure - I'm from Scotland so not sure if this is the equivalent to a 'Basic Disclosure Scotland', if that is the case then I have had these in the past and they are clear as the conviction is spent.
                No, BDS is too low level to mean much of anything.

In MOD speak there are four levels:

BC - You say who you are
                BPSS - You are who you say you are
                SC - We agree you are who you say you are
                DV - We know who you really are.

It's pointless worrying about how they vet you. In essence it's a risk assessment specific to a particular role so will vary considerably in line with all sorts of factors. As has been said many times, fill in the form honestly and see what happens.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

BPSS includes a Criminal Records Check which until January 17th this year is facilitated via Disclosure Scotland for UK citizens. Basic Disclosure is the service that covers this. They have others depending on the level of information needed.

https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/

After January 17th you need to go to the Disclosure and Barring service unless you live in Scotland, when you will continue to use Disclosure Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...arring-service

The other bits of BPSS are:
                  • Immigration status and nationality (which covers right to work)
                  • Employment History
                  • Identity Verification.

All the gory details here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y_Standard.pdf
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    BPSS includes a Criminal Records Check which until January 17th this year is facilitated via Disclosure Scotland for UK citizens. Basic Disclosure is the service that covers this. They have others depending on the level of information needed.

https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/

After January 17th you need to go to the Disclosure and Barring service unless you live in Scotland, when you will continue to use Disclosure Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...arring-service

The other bits of BPSS are:
                    • Immigration status and nationality (which covers right to work)
                    • Employment History
                    • Identity Verification.

All the gory details here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y_Standard.pdf
                    How does this fit in with NPPV level 3?

I've just been offered and accepted the role, which makes this more frustrating, as I think the process can take 6 weeks

Comment

Working...
                    X