• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NPPV Level 3 - Police vetting."

Collapse

• coolhandluke
    replied
    The time taken depends entirely on your background. I went through the process about 12 months ago with around 10 other contractors. Some got a response within 3 weeks others took 6 months, depending on your age historical police records for minor offences are very sporadic. All contractors started once basic clearance has been granted (around a week) you then sat waiting for a tap on the shoulder!

Only one contractor failed and he failed the basic upfront test. You aren't told why you fail but we believe the chap failed as they were unable to confirm his identity.

My advice is to be total upfront and honest. If you lie for any reason then it's an automatic fail.

Leave a comment:

• PermieToContractorAndBack
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why would you need to declare you criminal past to the police? Do you not think they will get it from their own data?
    Vetting isn't to find out about your conviction, it's for them to be sure that you are honest, reliable and aren't open to blackmail/coercion.
    You have to build a degree of trust with your vetters.

I've just checked your NPPV level 3, OP. Make sure you answer very honestly, especially if it feels uncomfortable. On that level they already know everything about you.

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Good man, cheers Dave.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by kysto View Post
    I read it was the process.
    It may be, but you can only answer the questions on the form. As I said, different agencies have different criteria.

Anyway the police know your criminal history, and that of your mates. So what are they testing for, do you suppose?

BTW my NPPV3 came through in a week and was accelerated by the client since I was filling a very necessary role on an interim basis. It takes as long as it takes.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    How does this fit in with NPPV level 3?

I've just been offered and accepted the role, which makes this more frustrating, as I think the process can take 6 weeks
    Have a read of this

http://library.college.police.uk/doc...P-22.10.17.pdf

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    Why would you need to declare you criminal past to the police? Do you not think they will get it from their own data?
    I read it was the process.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yeah that's not my point, everything I've read around this says just declare everything be honest and what will be will be, however there is nowhere in the forums to declare anything :S

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    I've a funny feeling the police will already know......
    Yeah that's not my point, everything I've read around this says just declare everything be honest and what will be will be, however there is nowhere in the forums to declare anything :S

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with NVVP/BPSS etc. You mentioned BPSS includes basic disclosure, but is BPSS the same as NPPV?

I've actually just completed the vetting forms and at no point did it mention any criminal background for me, only for friends/associates etc?
    I've a funny feeling the police will already know......

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I thought I answered that... except the police probably use different processes and criteria, as I also said.
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with NVVP/BPSS etc. You mentioned BPSS includes basic disclosure, but is BPSS the same as NPPV?

I've actually just completed the vetting forms and at no point did it mention any criminal background for me, only for friends/associates etc?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

I've just been offered and accepted the role, which makes this more frustrating, as I think the process can take 6 weeks
    I thought I answered that... except the police probably use different processes and criteria, as I also said.

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    BPSS includes a Criminal Records Check which until January 17th this year is facilitated via Disclosure Scotland for UK citizens. Basic Disclosure is the service that covers this. They have others depending on the level of information needed.

https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/

After January 17th you need to go to the Disclosure and Barring service unless you live in Scotland, when you will continue to use Disclosure Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...arring-service

The other bits of BPSS are:
    • Immigration status and nationality (which covers right to work)
    • Employment History
    • Identity Verification.

All the gory details here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y_Standard.pdf

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Also, when you say equivalent to BPSS, i did some reading on this and my understanding is this is a package of different checks, including basic criminal disclosure - I'm from Scotland so not sure if this is the equivalent to a 'Basic Disclosure Scotland', if that is the case then I have had these in the past and they are clear as the conviction is spent.
    BPSS includes a Criminal Records Check which until January 17th this year is facilitated via Disclosure Scotland for UK citizens. Basic Disclosure is the service that covers this. They have others depending on the level of information needed.

https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/

After January 17th you need to go to the Disclosure and Barring service unless you live in Scotland, when you will continue to use Disclosure Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...arring-service

The other bits of BPSS are:
    • Immigration status and nationality (which covers right to work)
    • Employment History
    • Identity Verification.

All the gory details here :

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...y_Standard.pdf

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Also, when you say equivalent to BPSS, i did some reading on this and my understanding is this is a package of different checks, including basic criminal disclosure - I'm from Scotland so not sure if this is the equivalent to a 'Basic Disclosure Scotland', if that is the case then I have had these in the past and they are clear as the conviction is spent.
    No, BDS is too low level to mean much of anything.

In MOD speak there are four levels:

BC - You say who you are
    BPSS - You are who you say you are
    SC - We agree you are who you say you are
    DV - We know who you really are.

It's pointless worrying about how they vet you. In essence it's a risk assessment specific to a particular role so will vary considerably in line with all sorts of factors. As has been said many times, fill in the form honestly and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• kysto
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    NPPV3 is one level down from SC, equivalent to BPSS, in effect the highest level for non-operational roles within the police. As long as you declare everything properly there shouldn't (note - shouldn't) be a problem, but as with all clearance issues it really depends what it is you are being cleared to do.

It's worth noting in passing that this clearance may not translate to Home Office or MOD equivalents in the future, since they are vetting for different criteria.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X