• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client co-workers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Tread carefully. If a tulip storm starts brewing you are the only one they can remove quickly.
    The OP has already expressed that moving on is a viable option.

Choices:

Speak up - could result in you being canned, could cause the situation to improve, could make it not better or worse (in which case you walk anyway).
    Walk.
    Fight back.

I'd go for the first. Nothing really to lose and lowest stress option.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by bullseye View Post
      Deleting work etc
      If they're doing this I'd raise a ticket against it; phrasing it in a positive way such as "this code seems to have disappeared, here's a replacement".
      Then hopefully someone will investigate and use the CM tool to show who it was.

...unless they're all in it.

Comment

With 2.5 months to go I would force the situation now rather than wait to be removed in October or November as the cycle winds down...

Go and have a word with the top dog and point out that while he is paying for your work one of their own team is sabotaging it because they dont like contractors. It doesn't bother you because you always have offline copies of the work. But once you have gone their resident arse will still be there and its unlikely they will stop being one, rather they will start looking for the next trouble to cause.

If they are using git then there will be a log of the actions and you can point it out.

You might outlive the permy in the end

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
          If they're doing this I'd raise a ticket against it; phrasing it in a positive way such as "this code seems to have disappeared, here's a replacement".
          Then hopefully someone will investigate and use the CM tool to show who it was.

...unless they're all in it.
          I would copy in the project manager in the ticket, he's the one with a stake in this. Not the other IT guys.

Be careful about going up the IT guy hierarchy, a lot of people have no morals.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            With 2.5 months to go I would force the situation now rather than wait to be removed in October or November as the cycle winds down...

Go and have a word with the top dog and point out that while he is paying for your work one of their own team is sabotaging it because they dont like contractors. It doesn't bother you because you always have offline copies of the work. But once you have gone their resident arse will still be there and its unlikely they will stop being one, rather they will start looking for the next trouble to cause.

If they are using git then there will be a log of the actions and you can point it out.

You might outlive the permy in the end
            Now we've got the worst way to approach it out of the way let's see if we can help the OP.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ignore it be professional, don't indulge in childish battles. This is good practice as it won't be the last time you'll end up as a target. Just do your work. If the work is deleted, there must be a record of it being deleted. Just ask why. They're perfectly entitled to delete it as the code belongs to the client. If you write a piece of code and it's deleted, rewrite it, and if you have to keep doing this so be it.

Let it wash over you, invoice and behave is as if everything is perfectly normal.

In two months the contract will be over, do you really care ?

Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 August 2017, 13:23.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Raise a technical issue that there is something wrong with your source control system and your work keeps accidentally being deleted. You may find the problem just resolves itself.

I've never got this jealousy from permies to contractors. If they're so good and contracting is such an easy life, why don't they have a go? Especially if they think contractors are such low quality - if they're so good it should be easy for them. (I have to admit, it was this attitude that got me into contacting in the first place)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Ignore it be professional, don't indulge in childish battles. This is good practice as it won't be the last time you'll end up as a target. Just do your work. If the work is deleted, there must be a record of it being deleted. Just ask why. They're perfectly entitled to delete it as the code belongs to the client. If you write a piece of code and it's deleted, rewrite it, and if you have to keep doing this so be it.

Let it wash over you, invoice and behave is as if everything is perfectly normal.

In two months the contract will be over, do you really care ?

This... Great thing with contracting is that it will always end sooner or later. Just have to focus on that and get to the end. After that it will just be a memory.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know it's a scary thing, but "Documentation" could be a good one here.
                    If you've put in code which works then for yourself take a dump of the code. For the client, document it in word, including screenshots of the code and give that documentation to the managers, e.g.
                    "The following section of code between lines 165 and 279 fixes the issue of rounding in the accounts field"
                    < insert screenshot >.
                    (Along with proof that it works)

That way, after you have gone if one of the permies is queried as to where the code went, and then instructed to put it back in again, he has to key it in by hand, can't just copy and paste from your doc.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X