• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserv : Personalise (address agent) each application..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobserv : Personalise (address agent) each application..?

Do you personalise (address agent) each application while sending to recruiters it in Jobserve..??

Like addressing each application with agent's name...put exact job reference number in cover letter..

Will this make any difference..?

Have you spoken to the agent yet before sending your application in?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      Do you personalise (address agent) each application while sending to recruiters it in Jobserve..??

Like addressing each application with agent's name...put exact job reference number in cover letter..

Yes. You don't want it to look as if you are sending off 1000 applications per day.

Comment

Depends if you want to be one step ahead of the rest or just happy to be stuck in the churn.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As you aren't a new contractor you should have a list (or at least emails) from agents who have contacted you before.

Make sure every single one of those knows you are available.

Then when they send you an ad, personalise your CV for the role and write a polite email of 2-3 lines to go with it. You have about anything from one hour to four hours to do that before the ad goes on the job boards.

Your job is to secure the interview before the ad is on the job board. So you get it back to the agent within 50 minutes max.

I was told many years ago, and it is backed up about every 3 years, that agents don't read covering emails. They may skim through them but that's it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I add jobs to my basket and click submit. That's it.

Can barely summon up the energy even to do that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Farm Shop Headcase View Post

I do the above if I'm not too bothered about the role maybe because of location.

But experience shows phoning the agent first to discuss the ad\role is the best route. Be prepared with CV already tailored and fire it in as you're talking or soon after if further tailoring required. Of course this requires the role to be on the board, which might not happen if speedy SueEllen is in there first

Comment

I call wherever possible, though a lot of roles don't have phone numbers. But yes, I always personalise the message. I do use a fairly generic template, but I'll tailor it slightly to mention relevant experience etc.

With all that said, I think I've only ever actually got one role through applying - all my gigs have had the agent find me.

Comment

I try and phone the agent first, talk about the gig, get their email address and then send the CV direct to them. Their Jobserve application folder probably has 20,000 unread items in it and I don't want my application to be item 20,001. Ensuring you end up in their Inbox is definitely the most ideal position to be in.

If I do apply via the Jobserve advert (some of them tell you to do this, others you cannot get hold of sometimes) then i'll usually write a brief covering letter with my relevant experience to the assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Farm Shop Headcase View Post

This. I've never needed to personalise Jobserve applications, but maybe it's changed since I last found work that route.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X