• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Appreciate there is another post on this subject but it has around 900 replies mentioning several topics so I had to start a new thread.

Just want to hear people's current views and experience on this.

So I've on the bench since end of Dec 2016 and have built up a healthy war chest.

Only really started looking for roles beginning of Feb as took January spending time at home.

I'm a BA with reg and OTC experience within IB, I have applied for loads of roles and have only been interviewed for a handful (unsuccessful).
    I didn't envisage being out of a role this long and expected more interviews.

I know I'm a good BA but don't understand why I'm not getting regular initial interviews, I am getting my CV professionally reviewed/rewritten by ContractorUK to make sure my CV isn't the reason for a low interview rate.

Speaking to a few agents, they say every time a new BA role is advertised they get loads of applicants (sometimes hundreds) and also uncertainty around Brexit have companies being cautious however I thought contractor market would be buoyant as companies wouldn't take on the risk employing permies. They also say my CV is at a very good high standard which makes me then think....Is there too many people for so few roles or is there other factors which I haven't yet mentioned?

Appreciate your replies.

I think you have probably answered your own question: There a lot of people going for fewer roles.

Comment

There have been loads of people pile into contracting which has meant that rates have been driven down. Being good also means being expensive; too expensive maybe.

You might have to lower your rate if you want an interview these days.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Finding it too quiet!!!!

Are you actively contacting agents you have worked with in the past, or just applying when jobs hit the websites?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Daplayer321 View Post
          Appreciate there is another post on this subject but it has around 900 replies mentioning several topics so I had to start a new thread.

So I've on the bench since end of Dec 2016 and have built up a healthy war chest.

Only really started looking for roles beginning of Feb as took January spending time at home.

I'm a BA with reg and OTC experience within IB, I have applied for loads of roles and have only been interviewed for a handful (unsuccessful).

I know I'm a good BA but don't understand why I'm not getting regular initial interviews, I am getting my CV professionally reviewed/rewritten by ContractorUK to make sure my CV isn't the reason for a low interview rate.

Speaking to a few agents, they say every time a new BA role is advertised they get loads of applicants (sometimes hundreds) and also uncertainty around Brexit have companies being cautious however I thought contractor market would be buoyant as companies wouldn't take on the risk employing permies. They also say my CV is at a very good high standard which makes me then think....Is there too many people for so few roles or is there other factors which I haven't yet mentioned?

Appreciate your replies.
          Having a war chest and sticking to your guns is a very good way to burn through your savings if you do not have a steady cashflow.

You are trying to find work on the market that's flooded with contractors but not contracts.

Also, you may be an excellent BA, but do you know how to sell yourself? Do you stay in touch with the agents you've worked in the past? Do you monitor the market and get in early? Are you flexible with your rates? Do you know how to edit your CV to adapt it to the kind of roles you are going after? (I'm not talking about lying on your CV, but if you are going after roles that require knowledge of technology A and you forget to put it on your CV, the candidate that does mention it will get the interview.)

Learn to sell yourself. That's the most important skill today.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Widen the net then once you get a contract look around for a better one.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

<snip>
              I think it is very quiet at the moment. Although I'm currently in contract, I'm not getting the usual amount of calls/emails about roles, unless they are for Pub Sec, which I flatly refuse to entertain any more. I'm due to finish current role end June and initially thought I'd wrap it all up and look for something elsewhere. I'm now considering staying on for another stint [if the opportunity arises] despite the travelling involved, as the market seems so quiet.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

What I have noticed is a dramatic drop in roles in the financial sector. 18 months ago opportunities abounded. Generally looks bleak I would say, so I would advise widening the net and considering permie jobs.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I know I'm a good BA but don't understand why I'm not getting regular initial interviews, I am getting my CV professionally reviewed/rewritten by ContractorUK to make sure my CV isn't the reason for a low interview rate
                  There is your problem right there

Just reading your old threads. You've done 2 years at the same client or have you had previous clients? Are you looking for your second contract gig?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 1 May 2017, 11:15.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That thread contains some useful info it was started in May 2016..nothing much has changed since then except the market has gotten way worse! http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...te-market.html

Your going to need it as war chests go fast when you have no regular income.

So you have what several 100 other people have its no longer much of a selling point unless you will work way cheaper than others & can tick all the other interviewer boxes.

Fewer genuine roles & intense competition. By genuine I am talking about the same role being advertised on every job site by different competing agencies or the same agency spreading the role everywhere to maximise their chances of the perfect candidate! Also understand there are lots of fake job ads being posted as it costs next to nothing for the agency if they have an account with the website & allows them to harvest CV's for their database & keep the agent employed a few more days as they are feeling the pinch as well. No roles being generated no income for many agents. Any well paid role attracts up to 750 cv's in a day & 500 within an hour or so of being posted in London!

Speaking to a few agents, they say every time a new BA role is advertised they get loads of applicants (sometimes hundreds) and also uncertainty around Brexit have companies being cautious however I thought contractor market would be buoyant as companies wouldn't take on the risk employing permies. They also say my CV is at a very good high standard which makes me then think....Is there too many people for so few roles or is there other factors which I haven't yet mentioned? All of the above you have answered the question yourself!

Appreciate your replies.
                    No-one knows when or if its going to change. Then factor in way too many Tier 2 visas been issued and those consultancies pimping these people for a tiny fraction of what you or I could earn so profit margin for not employing a UK resident IT contractor is a massive factor. http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post2404794

Comment

Working...
                    X