• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reskilling - Course Recommendations Please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reskilling - Course Recommendations Please

I am currently in my first role with a well known solution providing consultancy in the UK but I wish to transfer into the contracting arena at the earliest availability but I feel I need to expand upon my technical creature set before doing so.

I am particularly interested in doing Sharepoint development. I have done Sharepoint client but not Sharepoint server and I would very much like to learn sharepoint server so I can apply for Sharepoint server contracts.

Can anybody point me or recommend me to some online courses that have an active practical component rather than just watching videos?

I have looked at PlrualSight but this does not best fit my needs as I do not have available hardware to run a resource intensive application in the same league as Sharepoint server. Furthermore, I do not have Sharepoint server software and I do not have any programming tools.

This is my question:

Are there any cheap or free online courses available that provide all the hardware and software requirements encapsulated in a VM access? So for example, I subscribe to a course and then I get VM access where I can access Sharepoint Server instance and a development studio suite such as Visual Studio and I can build some Sharepoint server projects under the direction of the course literature?

Thanks in advance,

Wetti

Hi Wetti,

I'm not sure that you'll find any courses that offer something for nothing in return.

I would advise youtube and some Wrox or O'Reilly books. You'll not have VM access unless you pay ($xxx) for it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

A contractor needs to be the expert in the technology they are working on. You need years of experience with it so you can't just switch to contracting...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Hi Wetti,

I'm not sure that you'll find any courses that offer something for nothing in return.

I would advise youtube and some Wrox or O'Reilly books. You'll not have VM access unless you pay for it.
        You can get a limited amount of Azure credit to run a VM or 2 on Azure for free... Remember to shut them down when you don't use them though - and then use another email address to start again when the credit runs out...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But he wants the provider to provide the hardware AND the software.

He'll not get far with that.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You can get a limited amount of Azure credit to run a VM or 2 on Azure for free... Remember to shut them down when you don't use them though - and then use another email address to start again when the credit runs out...
            Is there a way of installing SharePoint server on thses VM do you think?
            I do not have a licenced copy of SharePoint server so I would need a licence. Perhaps there is a developer's licence available ? Does anyone know this?

Comment

And don't forget that if this is a new skill the cost of training is not tax deductible.

Comment

On top of what cojak said, getting into contracting isn't to be taken lightly or as an early option. You'll be up against seasoned, experienced professionals and if you have very little in the way of achievements, what is your competitive advantage?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  On top of what cojak said, getting into contracting isn't to be taken lightly or as an early option. You'll be up against seasoned, experienced professionals and if you have very little in the way of achievements, what is your competitive advantage?
                  I am not a novice technician though, I have worked for some years in my home country and now approach the end of a 2 year period with one uk employer so I believe I am versed in the prerequisite skills to obtain a contract.

Comment

If you are in a Consultancy company, you are in right place to become not only a contractor but a consultant contractor.
                    I advise to stay at least 10 years before you became a consultant contractor. While there, try to orient your career in one or two areas. You can also ask for trainings in your company.

Originally posted by Wetti Big Deal Birnathi View Post
                    I am currently in my first role with a well known solution providing consultancy in the UK but I wish to transfer into the contracting arena at the earliest availability but I feel I need to expand upon my technical creature set before doing so.

I am particularly interested in doing Sharepoint development. I have done Sharepoint client but not Sharepoint server and I would very much like to learn sharepoint server so I can apply for Sharepoint server contracts.

Can anybody point me or recommend me to some online courses that have an active practical component rather than just watching videos?

I have looked at PlrualSight but this does not best fit my needs as I do not have available hardware to run a resource intensive application in the same league as Sharepoint server. Furthermore, I do not have Sharepoint server software and I do not have any programming tools.

This is my question:

Are there any cheap or free online courses available that provide all the hardware and software requirements encapsulated in a VM access? So for example, I subscribe to a course and then I get VM access where I can access Sharepoint Server instance and a development studio suite such as Visual Studio and I can build some Sharepoint server projects under the direction of the course literature?

Thanks in advance,

Wetti
                    Last edited by Bee; 8 September 2016, 11:53.

Comment

Working...
                    X