• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reskilling - Course Recommendations Please"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    And since we've answered the reskilling question and are now moving into dubious territory, I'm closing this thread.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    +1

I was traditional Unix, ie Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, now I have to do Linux, VMware ESX, LDAP, Cisco FW, the whole infra stack.

And the only reason I can know all this and don't have gaps between contracts is cos it's taken me over 25 years to input and retain all this knowledge, the days of the one skill wonders are over now, and Sharepoint is know to us techies as Shiitepoint for nothing, in few years it will have died...
    I've always been a jack of all trades with development as the main skill set within it.

That means C#, perl, javascript, python alongside various database and TSQL / PL-SQL, frameworks and other tools including apache / IIS / kestral, ESBs and various things.

I can also happily chair / lead daily scrums, do a reasonable amount of testing including automated scripting and both architecture designs or quickly read them and identify flaws. I can even roll my sleeves up and do BA work, especially when I want to control what they are trying to get the system to do.

That is just about enough to ensure I can roll up on site on day one and find something that means on Friday of week 1 I can say I've delivered something....

The idea that you know sharepoint and that is enough to get you a 6 month contract may work - once in a blue moon if you are very lucky....

And I haven't even mentioned what My actual skillset is when I apply for a contract
    Last edited by eek; 8 September 2016, 16:31. Reason: Added a bit more

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The entire idea that sharepoint by itself is enough to get a contract in this day and age made me laugh....

True, just as well you specified contract as, I'm sure you know, there are some consultancies that send muppets in on £700 PD that find basic Excel beyond them

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The entire idea that sharepoint by itself is enough to get a contract in this day and age made me laugh....
    +1

I was traditional Unix, ie Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, now I have to do Linux, VMware ESX, LDAP, Cisco FW, the whole infra stack.

And the only reason I can know all this and don't have gaps between contracts is cos it's taken me over 25 years to input and retain all this knowledge, the days of the one skill wonders are over now, and Sharepoint is known to us techies as Shiitepoint for nothing, in few years it will have died...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wetti Big Deal Birnathi View Post
    I do not wish to cheat and I am not from the country where this practice of which you talk is probably more accepted but if this is against the laws why are no prosecutions made against individuals or companies?
    Just because you see them it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The immigration boards have plenty of stories of 'I've had my Tier 2 cancelled and have to leave, what can I do?' posts.

Sometimes it's just not in the public interest to prosecute as well. They just deport the individuals, cancel the licence of the sponsoring body and life goes on... in a rather a poor way for those deported.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    That made me laugh. If you think server-side web parts are worth learning then you are far, far, further behind than you think.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    There is server side development that interests me such as Web Parts and MOSS.
    That made me laugh. If you think server-side web parts are worth learning then you are far, far, further behind than you think.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I do not wish to cheat and I am not from the country where this practice of which you talk is probably more accepted but if this is against the laws why are no prosecutions made against individuals or companies?
    There are but at the end of the day the ultimate cure is denial of ILR and a ban on reentry.

Look on immigrationboards.com and see the sheer amount of denials lately because of tax issues etc

Mainly people on T1G who inflated their income to qualify for extension but only declared low income to tax man.

Seems like almost all of them, there can't be many left on T1G, since it was closed ages ago (because of abuse), actually you could contact on that since it wasn't tied to an employer.

Gone now...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    There are but not often. The main bit is as Stek says when you come to try and renew you will be told to leave....

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    I am here in peace to ply my trade and I cannot understand why this makes you angry as I will conduct my activity within the full letter of the lowe.

I'm sorry but I came here to ask questions not of a legal nature but of an educatiuonal nature.

We will beg to differ.
    I think NLUK doesn't have anything against you.

It's just because you are in his country and you dare to talk about frauds. Some countries does not tolerate frauds.

I'm not British, I'm Portuguese and I understand him very well. (In this case)

Leave a comment:

• Wetti Big Deal Birnathi
    replied
    Look at it from our side. These people should not be contractors but have found a way to cheat and be direct competition for us. If they weren't cheating (breaking the law while doing so) our life's would be easier as it would be far easier to find contracts and those contracts would probably more than they currently do...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I am here in peace to ply my trade and I cannot understand why this makes you angry as I will conduct my activity within the full letter of the lowe.

I'm sorry but I came here to ask questions not of a legal nature but of an educatiuonal nature.

We will beg to differ.
    Look at it from our side. These people should not be contractors but have found a way to cheat and be direct competition for us. If they weren't cheating (breaking the law while doing so) our life's would be easier as it would be far easier to find contracts and those contracts would probably more than they currently do...

Leave a comment:

• Wetti Big Deal Birnathi
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just because you know some people commiting fraud and some that are breaking the law doesn't mean you should do it.

This attitude is what makes my blood boil on the immigration forums and there is no place for it here.

We will beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    and the many, many IT personnel here from non EU regions who have leave to remain and are working in contracts? They too were like me and have made their own fortunes work for them.
    It's a shame you didn't come over a few years earlier then - as most of the tricks are now known....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    and the many, many IT personnel here from non EU regions who have leave to remain and are working in contracts? They too were like me and have made their own fortunes work for them.
    On indefinite leave to remain you are not subject to immigration rules.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X