• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reskilling - Course Recommendations Please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wetti Big Deal Birnathi View Post
    I need enough just experience to pass the interview stage visn't it true?
    I would normally point out that as a contractor you are a business selling yourself and skills to a client who is paying top dollar for the best out there but this comment is hardly true for a permie role let alone a contracting one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I would normally point out that as a contractor you are a business selling yourself and skills to a client who is paying top dollar for the best out there but this comment is hardly true for a permie role let alone a contracting one.
      No and it is not a course of action that I would recommend in my own opinion. That is why I will learn the skills to become expert.

But I have seen colleagues who have paid third parties to sit the technical test that needs to be passed as a prerequisite of getting the job in the first instance.

That is not what I am proposing.

Comment

No and it is not a course of action that I would recommend in my own opinion. That is why I will learn the skills to become expert.

But I have seen colleagues who have paid third parties to sit the technical test that needs to be passed as a prerequisite of getting the job in the first instance.

Fraud, an offence punishable in the UK by a ten stretch. Worth the risk?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You need enough experience to be able to deliver a solution to the client better than the next guy. Without the experience you aren't going to get past the agent that has 30 CV's on his desk. If you get in front of a client your inexperience should become obvious during the interview and at that point you are done. Back to the bench, no money coming in, trying to look for work you cannot demonstrate you can do.

Comment

Given some of the muppets I have been unfortunate enough to work with, I'm sure that is one of the more minor frauds they have carried out
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You need enough experience to be able to deliver a solution to the client better than the next guy. Without the experience you aren't going to get past the agent that has 30 CV's on his desk. If, by some miracle, you get in front of a client your inexperience should become obvious during the interview and at that point you are done. Back to the bench, no money coming in, trying to look for work you cannot demonstrate you can do.

Comment

I need enough just experience to pass the interview stage visn't it true?
                Not quite
                1. You need a CV to get through the filtering stage of agents (and a CV thats better than the other CVs around at the time).
                2. You then need to interview better than the other candidates
                3. You then need to roll up on site and deliver what you promised while people are watching you. If you've lied at any of the stages above there is a strong chance you will be caught out and walked out the door.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I am particularly interested in doing Sharepoint development. I have done Sharepoint client but not Sharepoint server and I would very much like to learn sharepoint server so I can apply for Sharepoint server contracts.

This is my question:

Are there any cheap or free online courses available that provide all the hardware and software requirements encapsulated in a VM access? So for example, I subscribe to a course and then I get VM access where I can access Sharepoint Server instance and a development studio suite such as Visual Studio and I can build some Sharepoint server projects under the direction of the course literature?

Thanks in advance,

Wetti

The other route would be to buy the MS Action Pack (£310) and use the server licenses there to build your own.
                  You can get some of it on Azure, but as the Action Pack gives you Azure credits I think it's the best route.
                  You also get 5 E3 licenses for Office 365 in the pack.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Not quite
                    1. You need a CV to get through the filtering stage of agents (and a CV thats better than the other CVs around at the time).
                    2. You then need to interview better than the other candidates
                    3. You then need to roll up on site and deliver what you promised while people are watching you. If you've lied at any of the stages above there is a strong chance you will be caught out and walked out the door.
                    Yes, but my CV is shows I have been in the position of 8 developer roles and they are listed in chronicle logical order to my most recent post so I posit I have just a good of a chance as the next man.

Comment

Yes, but my CV is shows I have been in the position of 8 developer roles and they are listed in chronicle logical order to my most recent post so I posit I have just a good of a chance as the next man.
                      Yep to possibly get through the cv filter and then get an interview.

As an aside Do you have the legal right to work for yourself in the uk or are you tied by your visa.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X