• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tidied this up. If trolls continue to disrupt these threads, banhammers will appear.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It is very quiet at the moment which is unfortunate because I have realised that I can no longer stomach the commute to London even for two days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
        It is very quiet at the moment which is unfortunate because I have realised that I can no longer stomach the commute to London even for two days a week.
        I am unemployed now. So I am looking for another perm or 6 month contract. I have no choice, but keep the income stream coming in asap. I suspect Dudey you are the same. What time are you arriving in the office? What time are you leaving the office? I'd be commuting about 45 -50 miles to Euston station and then a zone 1 station if I did the trains. I'd be madness to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

I am unemployed now. So I am looking for another perm or 6 month contract. I have no choice, but keep the income stream coming in asap. I suspect Dudey you are the same. What time are you arriving in the office? What time are you leaving the office? I'd be commuting about 45 -50 miles to Euston station and then a zone 1 station if I did the trains. I'd be madness to drive.
          I still have another 5 months of the contract remaining and the rate is decent but I have a 75min door to door commute each way on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which I despise. The thing is everyone I work with in an other countries so there is little point my being there.

Comment

I still have another 5 months of the contract remaining and the rate is decent but I have a 75min door to door commute each way on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which I despise. The thing is everyone I work with in an other countries so there is little point my being there.
            Ouch! I'd be annoyed seriously. If the majority of people that I was working with were working were in the zone GMT +5.30 and I still had to be in office....

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Ouch! I'd be annoyed seriously. If the majority of people that I was working with were working were in the zone GMT +5.30 and I still had to be in office....
              Not as annoyed as the guys in India tare when the scrum master in the US schedules standups for 3pm UK time

Comment

This is honestly the most difficult I've found it in the 15 years or so I've been contracting. I was quite lucky that my last contract was a long one so I avoided all the covid nonsense. I've now been very actively looking for three months with no success. I've had interviews, but I've been unsuccessful. Well, I assume I've been unsuccessful since all but one recruiter has ghosted me after interview. I might have to end up doing one of those begging posts on LinkedIn...It's either that or an OnlyFans, although I don't imagine I'd have many takers there either
                If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Absolutely dire. A consultancy I have previously worked through - so I give them a bit more slack than an agent approaching me out the blue - excitedly got in touch with me week before last saying they had a contract for me which will be sorted out in the next couple of days. Anyway, contact at client is off for a couple of days so won't be until next week. Fair enough, these things happen. Role on next week and I ask what is happening and apparently he is ill and he is yet to reappear some week and a half later.

The consultant seems to be suffering some form of delusion which I would find sad were it not for my need to get back into work as soon as possible. In the meantime I have been put forward for a couple of permanent jobs as I need to get some money in.

It's tough out there.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                    This is honestly the most difficult I've found it in the 15 years or so I've been contracting. I was quite lucky that my last contract was a long one so I avoided all the covid nonsense. I've now been very actively looking for three months with no success. I've had interviews, but I've been unsuccessful. Well, I assume I've been unsuccessful since all but one recruiter has ghosted me after interview. I might have to end up doing one of those begging posts on LinkedIn...It's either that or an OnlyFans, although I don't imagine I'd have many takers there either
                    It's certainly as bad as I ever remember this and I include the 2008 Financial Crash, Brexit and Covid in that.

Comment

Unless you have some seriously in demand skills I would recommend smiling sweetly and keep billing.

Comment

Working...
                      X