• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a sudden rush of agents calling me since just before xmas, not sure what has triggered that though. Thankfully I don't have to rely on agents too much as my new gig will be the sixth in a row that has been through my network or referrals, and the last two have been direct with the client.

Finished a gig yesterday and starting a new one next week after a five minute chat with a CIO friend who asked me to come work for her. I had a lean period in late 2020 and into 2021 but ever since then, I've been very busy thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

market looks shocking right now but please post updates in this thread
      What's shocking about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

I have contributed companies myself to that thread but in 2023 there is nothing wrong with asking a few questions before you hang up the phone.

Market looks very weak right now, you are doing well to find a good role in this market.
        Fair enough
        Agree contract market not looking great. I'm getting hits for (poorly paid) perm roles and very little contract.

Out of interest looked at perm roles for BAs in the City based London BB (bulge bracket)

GS - none (no surprise!)
        BAML - none
        UBS - numerous
        DB - handful

The fact that two massive American banks have no BA roles in London seems a huge alarm bell
        Last edited by hungry_hog; 1 February 2023, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

Fair enough
          Agree contract market not looking great. I'm getting hits for (poorly paid) perm roles and very little contract.

Out of interest looked at perm roles for BAs in the City based London BB (bulge bracket)

GS - none (no surprise!)
          BAML - none
          UBS - numerous
          DB - handful

The fact that two massive American banks have no BA roles in London seems a huge alarm bell
          Are you looking on the company websites or elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Are you looking on the company websites or elsewhere?

Company websites

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

Company websites
              A lot of roles never make it onto Company websites.

Also I was with GS for several years and don't recall ever meeting a business analyst.

Comment

Just glanced today as i'm bored of my current gig

Looks rather grim

Comment

A lot more noise this week but, sadly, just that.

Comment

Boom - received the contract yesterday for a new gig at a rapidly growing FS firm. Couple of months to start with then potentially a longer term gig for a forthcoming major project. Only had three days off since the last gig and was planning to take some time off but looks a good opportunity and it's a good rate, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Recruiter - Hi HH got a great role for you. Rate X top tier blah. Can you attach your latest CV and we can catch up tomorrow
                      HH: great here's a latest CV

Comment

Working...
                      X