• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    I don't even consider Inside IR35 to be contracting. It's just temp employment under a different name.
    Better than Chapter 10...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Better than Chapter 10...
      Where for those who don't know the details - between 3 months and 3 years after you start your "outside IR35" contract the end client / HMRC decide that your contract was actually inside IR35 and insist on you repaying them everything they paid you so they can repay with after deducting all the tax..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mem80 View Post
        Anyone saw recent Dave Chaplin's post on LinkedIn showing internal HMRC approach to IR35? 700+ contractors hired by HMRC last 2 years - 0 contractors stated as outside IR35. It shows the current approach to the IT contractors. and that's one of the reasons current contracting market is so dire. It also shows direction for the future -> if HMRC put all their contractors inside IR35, most other companies will try to do the same to limit risk of taxman visit. Is it end of contracting market as we know it?
        All that is saying is that HMRC regard all their contractors as substitutes for permanent staff - can't really fault their logic (or honesty) there..

So to answer your final question - any firm offering outside contracts with large end clients is probably lying...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Where for those who don't know the details - between 3 months and 3 years after you start your "outside IR35" contract the end client / HMRC decide that your contract was actually inside IR35 and insist on you repaying them everything they paid you so they can repay with after deducting all the tax..
          Doesn't this depend on some sort of agreement to be in place, or has there been some new development where a client was able simply to insist on repayment?

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Doesn't this depend on some sort of agreement to be in place, or has there been some new development where a client was able simply to insist on repayment?
            An end client looking at a bill of £100,000 or £0 is going to be happy to spend £20,000 trying to move that bill towards the zero option…

Comment

I have to agree with the sentiment that the market is dead. Like COVID dead but much worse as there seems to be no end in sight.

I am begining to miss the agents calling me now it's that bad!

Comment

Originally posted by 6128k View Post

This all sounds very familiar to me. I have only ever worked Outside roles since I started contracting and I get offered the role if I get to interview stage.
                I've had two interviews in 3 weeks 1st interview was with my previous client, they had to cut the rate and so didn't consider me after the interview. No call to discuss this rate cut until it was too late! 2nd interview was another outside role with a consultancy who had already approved me for a client, only for the client to turn around and ask for a completely different role!

Never been on the bench, so this is a very different experience for me too!
                I've boomed with my 3rd interview! The role is inside, so this will be a new experience, but at least it's 100% remote.

I would say the market has picked up, I've had two really good leads today both Outside IR35 and one is a previous client of mine! It's heating up

Comment

I don't even consider Inside IR35 to be contracting. It's just temp employment under a different name.
                  Above a certain day rate I don't care.

Comment

Seeing quite a lot of Telco roles around, which is annoying as I have zero experience in that area

Comment

Quite.

One of the reasons why I haven't bothered coming here for so long for fears of accusations of fraudulent behaviour.

Anyway, now finally in an OutsideIR35 role. And posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X