• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market is really good - Sr.PM - Banking - started looking 3 weeks ago, three interviews and one offer came in yesterday evening, another interview was going to be scheduled tomorrow - was waiting for them to confirm the slot (the only one outside of IR35).

I turned down the first one who interviewed as it was a complete cultural mismatch (a very small privately owned company, and I have never worked for even the smaller banks/BSs yet so I was aware of but their IT was far smaller and Wild West than I thought - said our application support is one man with a mobile phone ).

Now I am thoroughly confused -
    First preference - I am still waiting on the interview feedback from Friday, they did say they would have another round(s)
    Second preference - Waiting for the interview slot, the only one outside IR35 and 100% remote work
    Third preference - Interviewed yesterday and offered right after - good rate, although they indicated some office based work and there is 2hr travel involved. They already indicated a fix rate so not much leverage of having other things on

How do you bid time on agreeing the offer? Be open an honest about other role you waiting on or are there any tricks of the trade that I need to learn?
    Last edited by coe123; 12 October 2021, 11:01.

Comment

It’s suddenly gone nuts over here. Three months on the bench with several calls a day to say nothing more than, “we’ll be in touch if anything comes up,” and then this past week I've had six calls about specific clients, five interviews scheduled, two interviews done, and two offers received. I’ve accepted one which is paying 30% more than my previous best. I haven’t had this much interest in this short a period since the dot com bubble.

(Software engineer doing embedded C++ and Python.)

Comment

Market seems booming for both contracts and permie roles.

Dozens of new jobs coming up everyday on jobserve. Remote opportunities are getting more common.

I haven't seen the market this busy for a long time. I think it's the last busy period before the Christmas lull.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58874657

Applies to Contracting too with a section of European workers gone/unable to take up new roles without a Visa.

Comment

Originally posted by coe123 View Post
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58874657

Applies to Contracting too with a section of European workers gone/unable to take up new roles without a Visa.

Good news then.

"Researchers suggest that the shortage of skilled workers will remain a challenge for the next five years." So another 5 years for contractors to ask for (and get) rate increases and get a chunky warchest.

Comment

As long as it's booming in Q1 next year when I start looking, that's all I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Good news then.

"Researchers suggest that the shortage of skilled workers will remain a challenge for the next five years." So another 5 years for contractors to ask for (and get) rate increases and get a chunky warchest.
                lets hope so

first person to 1000 pd outside, gets the prize

Comment

Not looking for received two calls where recruiters were trying to sell you a permanent position from a contract one. What's that about?

Comment

Move over, I am back on the bench for a hopefully brief period.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Move over, I am back on the bench for a hopefully brief period.
                      Best market ever apparently, you’ll be the Guinea pig for this theory seagull on the basis of your reliability.

Comment

Working...
                      X