• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Only pulled the figure out of the air but £550 outside is equivalent to £650 inside so I wasn't far off.
    Depends on how much tax you pay on the £550.

£550 a day is £445 a day after corp tax.
    £650 a day is £355 via paye umbrella.

The £445 is obviously reduced further with dividend and income taxes, but if you have other income to live off then you have the option of retaining it all in your company and investing it into anything you want, and not just your pension.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 11 March 2021, 06:37.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

If you are genuinely looking for a role then you should consider up skilling yourself with Azure. With C# and .NET, your CV would be hot. Check out free trainings at Microsoft.
      It isn't enough to have 'training' on your CV for most skills. I did exactly what you said - the Azure training online. But employers/clients want actual experience, and they can get that in abundance because there are hordes of people out there with the new in-fashion skills like Azure, AWS, Mulesoft etc - just go onto LinkedIn and every day a number of people show off their new certifications

And because there is no shortage of people with these skills, it's really difficult to get a job working on them. I tried hard and had great interviews with heads of teams/departments only to then be shot down in shame by some w@nky tech guy in the next stage. From their POV they prefer to hire a 20-something year old who has no ties and will spend all hours committed to the company and being a lacky: a lot of us were like that in younger years - I sure was eager and worked my nuts off. Companies don't want a 40 year old (even with great general experience) who they will still have to train up.

It's an employer's market out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

It isn't enough to have 'training' on your CV for most skills. I did exactly what you said - the Azure training online. But employers/clients want actual experience, and they can get that in abundance because there are hordes of people out there with the new in-fashion skills like Azure, AWS, Mulesoft etc - just go onto LinkedIn and every day a number of people show off their new certifications

And because there is no shortage of people with these skills, it's really difficult to get a job working on them. I tried hard and had great interviews with heads of teams/departments only to then be shot down in shame by some w@nky tech guy in the next stage. From their POV they prefer to hire a 20-something year old who has no ties and will spend all hours committed to the company and being a lacky: a lot of us were like that in younger years - I sure was eager and worked my nuts off. Companies don't want a 40 year old (even with great general experience) who they will still have to train up.

I don't know. I've just picked up a role that requires Node.js with only 3 months prior experience.

Comment

I think the market is the same as it has been since lockdown started, running at about 30/40% of pre-lockdown levels but with all the roles being remote this does open up a lot more roles to the contractors who aren't normally prepared to travel for gigs

A few are being clever with IR35 and pricing gigs £100/£150 pd lower than normal if they are outside but there is not a huge amount of difference between march 2020 and march 20201 truth be told in terms of the market and the amount of contracts available

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
            I'm mostly looking at permie jobs (C# and .NET stuff). I've applied for a few jobs on Indeed but mostly just get rejected without an interview.

I did have one interview though - the only once since last July or something.

I know that Azure/AWS is missing from my CV but to be honest there are so many people and so few gigs that it all seems pointless. I'll continue working on my side projects (using cheapo cloud hosting, not MS/Amazon bloatware).

More gigs are appearing, but the pool of people looking must be vast.

This just feels like 2002 all over again but then as now I have something I made that pays the bills.
            Surprised you are struggling with permie .net jobs there are hundreds of them out there (nationwide) but some of them I have seen still advertising after 6 months plus

Comment

Last 24 hours I've been getting peppered with calls from Indian recruiters, all of them on WhatsApp. It's bizarre because no recruiter has ever used that channel before and the Indian agencies have been very quiet of late. Now this, I wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by Great Parks View Post
                Last 24 hours I've been getting peppered with calls from Indian recruiters, all of them on WhatsApp. It's bizarre because no recruiter has ever used that channel before and the Indian agencies have been very quiet of late. Now this, I wonder why?
                Well whatsapp is cheaper than using phone lines (as the former is free and the latter cost money).

I've also always found whatsapp calls to be bad quality but then again the telltale sign of an indian recruitment consultant using a "UK" number was terrible phone call quality.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Well whatsapp is cheaper than using phone lines (as the former is free and the latter cost money).

I've also always found whatsapp calls to be bad quality but then again the telltale sign of an indian recruitment consultant using a "UK" number was terrible phone call quality.
                  ...and , in the case of my mobile provider, whatsapp makes them much easier to block.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Parks View Post
                    Infosys are recruiting contractors for HSBC amongst others... good old Rishi, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Looks like you have done well on the technical side but may have lacked imagination in marketing your skills through CV. If you are confident in your Azure skills, what stopped you from saying that you have actual experience! It was my Azure training + Certification + Imagination helped me move from testing domain to data domain. I am a living proof of that!

Comment

Working...
                      X