• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm mostly looking at permie jobs (C# and .NET stuff). I've applied for a few jobs on Indeed but mostly just get rejected without an interview.

I did have one interview though - the only once since last July or something.

I know that Azure/AWS is missing from my CV but to be honest there are so many people and so few gigs that it all seems pointless. I'll continue working on my side projects (using cheapo cloud hosting, not MS/Amazon bloatware).

More gigs are appearing, but the pool of people looking must be vast.

This just feels like 2002 all over again but then as now I have something I made that pays the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

About 20 went up in the past day
      Not really that many, then.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

A lot of contractors get their work directly from their linkedIn contacts not via agencies.
        I have to admit that the way it works seems to have changed in recent years. The last few roles I've had have been where someone's approached me, rather than replying to an advert.

I guess I miss the days when there were quite a lot of roles posted on Jobserve, and I could scroll through and go, OK, ecommerce/digital, London, that one sounds interesting, I'll go for that.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post

I have to admit that the way it works seems to have changed in recent years. The last few roles I've had have been where someone's approached me, rather than replying to an advert.

I guess I miss the days when there were quite a lot of roles posted on Jobserve, and I could scroll through and go, OK, ecommerce/digital, London, that one sounds interesting, I'll go for that.
          I don't think I've ever even secured an interview for something that I've actually applied for. It's all been direct approaches from agents that have accessed my CV online plus one or two from Linked In.

Comment

Originally posted by baen View Post
            Reasonable rates for BA roles, e.g: https://www.jobserve.com/KNhwp
            That’s an “umbrella only” contract which probably means inside ir35. So equivalent to a 550PD
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

End of current contract coming up, presumed extension so I'm looking around as a Plan B.

Surprised at just how healthy the market is - lots of Outside IR35 work. Things look workable.
              Bit early to start kissing the guns but there does seem to have been an uptick in the last couple of days.

Comment

That’s an “umbrella only” contract which probably means inside ir35. So equivalent to a 550PD
                You might want to check your maths there.
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
                  I'm mostly looking at permie jobs (C# and .NET stuff). I've applied for a few jobs on Indeed but mostly just get rejected without an interview.

I did have one interview though - the only once since last July or something.

I know that Azure/AWS is missing from my CV but to be honest there are so many people and so few gigs that it all seems pointless. I'll continue working on my side projects (using cheapo cloud hosting, not MS/Amazon bloatware).

More gigs are appearing, but the pool of people looking must be vast.

This just feels like 2002 all over again but then as now I have something I made that pays the bills.
                  If you are genuinely looking for a role then you should consider up skilling yourself with Azure. With C# and .NET, your CV would be hot. Check out free trainings at Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post

You might want to check your maths there.
                    Only pulled the figure out of the air but £550 outside is equivalent to £650 inside so I wasn't far off.

"But what about...?" - no.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

If I knew enough Java I would be tempted to join for a day or so to see how bad the code base is.

As I dread to think of the standard of the work given the rates they are paying.

But equally they probably think they are being generous paying £40-50k a year for a developer which makes things kind of worse.
                      I've had to wade through Infosys code in the past, as their "support" didn't have a clue how it worked.

Nothing shocks me anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X