• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Was tempted, but I get a bad vibe, can't think why...

https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/find-...5A573D8B97B40/
    The "per day" seems to be a typo

Comment

Ability to work within a (thinly documented) extensive codebase

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

The "per day" seems to be a typo
        If I knew enough Java I would be tempted to join for a day or so to see how bad the code base is.

As I dread to think of the standard of the work given the rates they are paying.

But equally they probably think they are being generous paying £40-50k a year for a developer which makes things kind of worse.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

testers rarely handle production information. So there's less need for SC.
          Probably you are not aware but they do. For example passport printing and/or epassport gate testing etc (automated border control system) currently done by Thales group.
          Last edited by BigDataPro; 9 March 2021, 20:55.

Comment

End of current contract coming up, presumed extension so I'm looking around as a Plan B.

Surprised at just how healthy the market is - lots of Outside IR35 work. Things look workable.
            Last edited by PerfectStorm; 10 March 2021, 09:47.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              End of current contract coming up, presumed extension so I'm looking around as a Plan B.

Surprised at just how healthy the market is - lots of Outside IR35 work. Things look workable.
              I'm not seeing masses of BA contracts on Jobserve. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post

I'm not seeing masses of BA contracts on Jobserve. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks.
                A lot of contractors get their work directly from their linkedIn contacts not via agencies.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post

About 20 went up in the past day
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Reasonable rates for BA roles, e.g: https://www.jobserve.com/KNhwp

Comment

I've been looking for a few weeks and had a few leads in the early days and one interview but my general impression is that the market is fairly weak compared with a normal March (usually the busiest month before start of financial year).

Seem to be getting more leads via linkedin than jobserve which seems fairly dead. A warning is that a common scam is "outside IR35 until Apr" gets rewritten by agents to "outside" and I'm relaxing my reqs to include "inside" :-(

Upside is number of times "remote" is mentioned. Wondering whether to return to my old role (now "inside") or hold on a few months over the summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X