• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing much upturn at the moment but in previous downturns, of which there have been too many for my liking, developers on here seem to see things pick up a little bit before testers like me.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      I finish with current client at end of this month, so wondering if I can sit it out for a few months and see how this plays out.
      That was my view at the start of the first lockdown, take some time out and see what happens. Cost me a few £££

Though unlike last year there is an end in sight.

Comment

Is Any clojure experts in the house - Immed Start / Outside IR35 / WFH / Top Rates - ping me a message

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Should be getting busy. The merry go round of people leaving gigs that are outside to inside should be starting about now. Job market last two weeks of March in to April should be absolutely mental.... but I bet it's not.

If you are going for a gig outside have you asked them what the the client is doing in April? May get a nasty surprise if you don't
          I think tbf the merry go round started 1 year ago
          Many end clients did not change their policy despite the postponement, especially in FS

Comment

https://www.cityam.com/gig-economy-w...services-jobs/

Longer version: https://www.xprimm.com/PwC-report-su...,149-16791.htm

Interesting article. Good and bad news if ever transpires to be true. More gigs and lower pay?
            Last edited by sira; 1 March 2021, 21:40.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

I think tbf the merry go round started 1 year ago
              Many end clients did not change their policy despite the postponement, especially in FS
              It appears not watching the forums over the last year. We've had more questions about how brollies work etc in the last two weeks than we have in the last year.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                https://www.cityam.com/gig-economy-w...services-jobs/

Longer version: https://www.xprimm.com/PwC-report-su...,149-16791.htm

Interesting article. Good and bad news if ever transpires to be true. More gigs and lower pay?
                That's all well and good but as I imagine a lot of work in the City is regulatory, hence needing to be done by competing companies in a similar timescale, so between these peaks half the workforce will be twiddling their funds and start gravitating towards permanent employment.

It could easily go from contractors (or whatever we are called going forward) being experts in their field to being those who can't get a permanent job.

Comment

I finish with current client at end of this month, so wondering if I can sit it out for a few months and see how this plays out.
                  I just connected on LinkedIn with a contractor I worked with a couple of years ago. He was telling me how he adamantly refused to take contracts inside ir35 so he decided to sit it out for a couple of months in March 2020. He's been out for 12 months exactly and has just started a contract inside ir35 at a bit more than half the rate he was being offered in March 2020.

Having said that, he's a BA with very generalist skillset so part of me is also quite surprised he got this gig in the first place..

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

I just connected on LinkedIn with a contractor I worked with a couple of years ago. He was telling me how he adamantly refused to take contracts inside ir35 so he decided to sit it out for a couple of months in March 2020. He's been out for 12 months exactly and has just started a contract inside ir35 at a bit more than half the rate he was being offered in March 2020.

Having said that, he's a BA with very generalist skillset so part of me is also quite surprised he got this gig in the first place..
                    12 months, Christ not good.

That is the worry, I think I'd choose to go perm rather than work inside.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

12 months, Christ not good.

That is the worry, I think I'd choose to go perm rather than work inside.

qh
                      I'm more pragmatic.

Work inside, either get outside gigs in addition or make company dormant for the duration of that gig.

Comment

Working...
                      X