• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Can I ask which sector.
    And how does rate compare with pre Covid times.
    Facilities Management - an area previously never been visited upon and nor in the CV, making the offer even more surprising bearing in mind the CVs out there that must have it present.

The rate is far below previous experience but, new sector, Outside, immediate turnaround, it is more than generous when considering they could have driven the rate down still further. As to what this sector/company paid previous to Covid, I could not possibly say.

All the best.

Comment

Is anyone else finding 2021 worse than 2020? Having zero luck since the turn of the year. Not even with bread n butter gigs, paying terrible rates. I had more interviews last year...

Has anyone picked up odd jobs to avoid eating into the warchest? Such as deliveries, admin, tutoring etc.
      Last edited by sira; 19 February 2021, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
        Is anyone else finding 2021 worse than 2020? Having zero luck since the turn of the year. Not even with bread n butter gigs, paying terrible rates. I had more interviews last year...

Has anyone picked up odd jobs to avoid eating into the warchest? Such as deliveries, admin, tutoring etc.
        I thought about it, people recommended it (Read: told me to do it) but, in the end I wrote and published a book, and wrote a follow up due out later in the year. Was less of an issue in terms of warchest upheaval as I have rental income, so the writing was far more enjoyable than delivering, by way of a pastime.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post

Personally I am not finding it difficult. In fact, nowadays I get at least 2-3 opportunities both Perm and outside Contract every day.

Even if I were looking I wouldn't pick up odd jobs, rather invest that time to upskill myself.

Comment

Been looking for a couple of weeks and been very quiet. Then again when I was last looking in November (client ran out of money before anyone asks!) it was very quiet up until the point I got a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              I thought about it, people recommended it (Read: told me to do it) but, in the end I wrote and published a book, and wrote a follow up due out later in the year. Was less of an issue in terms of warchest upheaval as I have rental income, so the writing was far more enjoyable than delivering, by way of a pastime.
              Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Personally I am not finding it difficult. In fact, nowadays I get at least 2-3 opportunities both Perm and outside Contract every day.

Even if I were looking I wouldn't pick up odd jobs, rather invest that time to upskill myself.
              Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              Been looking for a couple of weeks and been very quiet. Then again when I was last looking in November (client ran out of money before anyone asks!) it was very quiet up until the point I got a contract.
              Interesting set of responses and approaches - thanks all! I don't think anyone could have prepared us for a pandemic, and therefore I guess there isn't any consensus/guidance with regards to managing the pandemic from an employment/career perspective.

I took on a permie role in October for the money but planning to leave before the 3 month notice period kicks in, as it's horrific. I plan on dividing my time by looking for relevant gigs, trading, starting a business and upskilling. I guess the temp work is always there, if we ever need it.
              Last edited by sira; 19 February 2021, 15:06.

Comment

In my line of work (UX) there seem to be a lot of work out there at the moment, some permanent but mainly contract.

Although I see the same roles being re-advertised on linkedin over and over again because the rates are just not good enough.

Comment

I accepted a perm offer back in November, interview was tough, 150 applicants and I bagged 1 of the 3 jobs available. Salary not great but offered a move into a more hands-off role which is what I thought I wanted.

Came to sign the paperwork and HR knocked a few k off the already crappy salary as they don't offer the top of the banding to anyone apparently. Should have walked but a month or so out of work looking for something else over Christmas was more than what they had reduced the salary by.

Fast forward nearly 5 months and the job is a contract disguised as a perm role. There is no future job and in 18 months we will all be gone. Nothing official has been released but when you are decommissioning everything...

Plus 7 hour days have quickly turned into 8 hours on calls then an hour or 2 in the evening to work through emails. Bliss...

So started looking two weeks ago and the perm market seems booming however, a 3 month notice period means moving back into contracting takes a leap of faith. As it happens an agent spotted my CV and called about a contract, he sounded quite genuine and said it was folly to quit, market is still dreadful with lots of applicants for every contract.

So I've started looking for perm positions that work in markets / tech that have a future. 4 interviews booked in within the first couple of days. Had 2 already, first was a total disaster, data science job but no data science questions interviewed by a young hipster asking random questions. Second went great, decent money and back into a mixture of hands-on/off, should be getting back to me on Monday.

Turned down a few interviews due to rubbish companies or mental tech tests, one being design and create a full meeting booking system.

2 more interviews this week.

Comment

You won't have accrued much leave but it's worth saving that to shave some time off your notice period. Also going sick is another good tactic. You'll only get statutory sick pay if they don't have a more comprehensive offering but that can also help get you out quicker. Sometimes you find, if you go sick, a company will offer a payment for you to leave

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                      I accepted a perm offer back in November, interview was tough, 150 applicants and I bagged 1 of the 3 jobs available. Salary not great but offered a move into a more hands-off role which is what I thought I wanted.

Came to sign the paperwork and HR knocked a few k off the already crappy salary as they don't offer the top of the banding to anyone apparently. Should have walked but a month or so out of work looking for something else over Christmas was more than what they had reduced the salary by.

Fast forward nearly 5 months and the job is a contract disguised as a perm role. There is no future job and in 18 months we will all be gone. Nothing official has been released but when you are decommissioning everything...

Plus 7 hour days have quickly turned into 8 hours on calls then an hour or 2 in the evening to work through emails. Bliss...

So started looking two weeks ago and the perm market seems booming however, a 3 month notice period means moving back into contracting takes a leap of faith. As it happens an agent spotted my CV and called about a contract, he sounded quite genuine and said it was folly to quit, market is still dreadful with lots of applicants for every contract.

So I've started looking for perm positions that work in markets / tech that have a future. 4 interviews booked in within the first couple of days. Had 2 already, first was a total disaster, data science job but no data science questions interviewed by a young hipster asking random questions. Second went great, decent money and back into a mixture of hands-on/off, should be getting back to me on Monday.

Turned down a few interviews due to rubbish companies or mental tech tests, one being design and create a full meeting booking system.

2 more interviews this week.
                      Contract work disguised as perm, is a huge issue I'm facing now too. I keep getting approached for permanent jobs that are blatantly contract gigs. I've heard it directly from recruiters aswell.

The only solutions are to wait for a contract, start your own business or keep taking perm roles in the hope that one ends up being genuine and good role. If they're disguised roles, then drop it off your CV. But there's only so many perm roles you can take before the CV becomes damaged. Partly why I'm hesitant about going for another perm role at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X