• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My industry has picked up noticeably this week.

I'm already running two contracts and just secured another 8 weeks worth of work for another client.

Can't wait until this blows up in my stupid face.

Comment

Currently having five conversations with clients all at various stages. Most positive I’ve seen for a while.

Hoping to land one of them within the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Everything is going digital, everything is going online. AI taking off, big data, crypto, cloud booming.

And yet no one can find decent paid work?

Something very odd to me. If anything rates should be at all time highs now after the endless lockdowns.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Everything is going digital, everything is going online. AI taking off, big data, crypto, cloud booming.

Something very odd to me. If anything rates should be at all time highs now after the endless lockdowns.
          It depends on what people's skills are.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Number of actual job vacancies out there doesn't match your outlook. There is no general jobs boom in IT at the moment.

Posted job adverts are down 66% from a few years ago, and down 50% from Jan 2020.

Still there is always work out there if you have good skills, a good CV and can perform well at interview.

Comment

sort of.

AI uses mostly grads. They are cheap.
              Big Data should be a good market but the consultancies have most of that.
              Crypto - again grads
              Cloud - yes indeed. Best thing about this one is that experience is worth more than qualifications. And experience is where contractors can/should add real value.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Can't comment on the contract world anymore *sniff* but we are hiring permie engineers as fast as we can find them.

We detect and combat illegal stock market trading, based in London by Liverpool Street Station and use C#, SQL, BigData etc. but we are after pretty much anyone clever as we have an insane amount of work backlogged.

If you want to drop out of contracts back into permie world then give me a shout if this sounds interesting.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  Can't comment on the contract world anymore *sniff* but we are hiring permie engineers as fast as we can find them.

We detect and combat illegal stock market trading, based in London by Liverpool Street Station and use C#, SQL, BigData etc. but we are after pretty much anyone clever as we have an insane amount of work backlogged.

If you want to drop out of contracts back into permie world then give me a shout if this sounds interesting.
                  What if I have no experience in C#?

Is there a minimum requirement?

What is the job spec?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    What if I have no experience in C#?

Is there a minimum requirement?

What is the job spec?
                    Any high level language will do. I am not sure we have a job spec out there for the software roles at the moment but being as all teams need people your exact skills are not a filter because if you are a good engineer then you will fit somewhere. We have been hiring graduates as well as experienced engineers.

Apart from someone who really knows Linux for the IT team - we are quite keen for one of those!
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

That reminds me of a time in the early 90s when I worked for one of the then biggest American tech companies that was expanding massively in Europe. We were desperately trying to recruit more staff to work in hi-tech manufacturing in a city with a lot of competition of staff. We ended up having an open evening where we took on people like hairdressers and supermarket checkout staff and trained them. Wonder if the same would work today for software engineers?

Comment

Working...
                      X