• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
    200k!

I hope she was worth it!
    Yes & no really but sure could have done with my 2021 self telling my 2001 counterpart via the fantasy of time travel to save a little instead!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Yes & no really but sure could have done with my 2021 self telling my 2001 counterpart via the fantasy of time travel to save a little instead!
      Hindsight is a wonderful thing ... which we all fail at

Comment

I have noticed this over the years :
        If you have never worked for a law firm, DO NOT apply as you won't even be considered. Similar story with Investment banks and to a degree some NHS trusts.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
          I have noticed this over the years :
          If you have never worked for a law firm, DO NOT apply as you won't even be considered. Similar story with Investment banks and to a degree some NHS trusts.
          Kind of but no. This has been around forever in contract and, in part, in permie land as well. Clients always want someone with experience of the industry as it can vary greatly. The goals of different clients can be very different and they want people used to that culture as well as have the knowledge. For example, in the investment world every pound spent has to return one pound fifty so their approach to a problem will be a world apart from the approach of a govt body. I've seen many people come in to public sector gigs with a must do attitude, happy to rattle cages, bang on the desk and they get it etc and they either quickly get walked or just can't stand the way the PS do stuff.

Pharma's are strongly focussed on regulation where as retail are focussed on getting products in to shops etc.

Nothing new here at all and pretty understandable but to say DO NOT apply is completely wrong. I've said all the above yet, in order, I've worked for Bank, Telecom, Bank, Pharma, Public Sector, Retail, Public Sector. This pigeon holing has not worked to help get me further work in a set field but also has not held me back swapping industries.

Make sure you understand what your client does and what their drivers are and demonstrate those strengths in your CV. Mention governance when applying for pharma's/banks, mention fast pace deliver for investment and understand what the clients customers need and you'll do much better than the bod that comes in with same attitude to every different industry.

Always apply, you may be against better equipped contractors yes but not always. Just do a better job of applying.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So after wrapping up a long gig just before Christmas, I've worked 5 days in January doing some consultancy work and have quite enjoyed having some time to lounge around not doing much apart from eating, drinking, walking and watching bad Nicolas Cage films.

Have had quite a few recruiters contact me via linkedin, had chats with some consultancies. It 'feels' like things are picking up.

Got accepted into another consultancy network today so will find out shortly what they might have available.

2021 will probably be my last year of contracting for a while; as soon as restrictions are eased me and wife want to do some slow travel. But who knows how long it will be before we can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Pharma's are strongly focussed on regulation where as retail are focussed on getting products in to shops etc.

Nothing new here at all and pretty understandable but to say DO NOT apply is completely wrong. I've said all the above yet, in order, I've worked for Bank, Telecom, Bank, Pharma, Public Sector, Retail, Public Sector. This pigeon holing has not worked to help get me further work in a set field but also has not held me back swapping industries.

Make sure you understand what your client does and what their drivers are and demonstrate those strengths in your CV. Mention governance when applying for pharma's/banks, mention fast pace deliver for investment and understand what the clients customers need and you'll do much better than the bod that comes in with same attitude to every different industry.
              This stuff should be on your CV anyway as unfortunately unless the agent is any good most role specs are rubbish. This is because in the last 5 years most of my projects have been across sectors. However I don't generally find that out until the interview stage e.g. a public sector client needs someone with retail experience for that particular project, and that's why they are bothering to interview me.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Kind of but no. This has been around forever in contract and, in part, in permie land as well. Clients always want someone with experience of the industry as it can vary greatly. The goals of different clients can be very different and they want people used to that culture as well as have the knowledge. For example, in the investment world every pound spent has to return one pound fifty so their approach to a problem will be a world apart from the approach of a govt body. I've seen many people come in to public sector gigs with a must do attitude, happy to rattle cages, bang on the desk and they get it etc and they either quickly get walked or just can't stand the way the PS do stuff.

Always apply, you may be against better equipped contractors yes but not always. Just do a better job of applying.

Unfortunately, with law firms, the agent will first ask you if you have ever worked for a law firm. If you say No, then I had a nice agent who got me an interview with a law firm few years ago and at the interview, the hiring manager asked me the same question ( I don't know why they did - my CV said all the places where I worked and there were no law firms mentioned! )and when I said No, the interviewers lost complete interest and a 30 mins. interview was over in 10 mins. and quickly proceeded to Do you have any questions for us.
                They also have some specific software that you need knowledge of like BigHand , DMS and iManage.

Comment

On the topic of State of the market, there are many contracts being posted now. It's much better than end of last year. Rates are mostly inside IR35 and terrible but one has to survive and I have been having few Teams interviews.
                  I am now willing to stay away from home and stay at a hotel nearer to my workplace if required, regardless of where the role is in the country. I am also willing to drive. Two things I would have never considered when I was a city boy.

Comment

Unfortunately, with law firms, the agent will first ask you if you have ever worked for a law firm. If you say No, then I had a nice agent who got me an interview with a law firm few years ago and at the interview, the hiring manager asked me the same question ( I don't know why they did - my CV said all the places where I worked and there were no law firms mentioned! )and when I said No, the interviewers lost complete interest and a 30 mins. interview was over in 10 mins. and quickly proceeded to Do you have any questions for us.
                    They also have some specific software that you need knowledge of like BigHand , DMS and iManage.
                    I get it but having first hand of nearly getting a gig at Freshfields I'd again have to disagree. I didn't get it because the agent wasn't the PSL and the PSL refused to put me forward because I'd already been submitted by the other agent (like WTF?!?!?). It wasn't because of a lack of law firm experience.

Every company has specific software but I guess it's what you are being brought in to do. As a service manager specific software isn't a blocker but I see a lot of application specific roles like ServiceNow Architects or Manhattan developers etc. So that could be an issue with whatever you do but isn't the case for everyone.

Sounds like you got properly screwed by a really crap onboarding process in that instance. You got that far so I'd still keep applying if I were you.

Comment

On the topic of State of the market, there are many contracts being posted now. It's much better than end of last year. Rates are mostly inside IR35 and terrible but one has to survive and I have been having few Teams interviews.
                      I am now willing to stay away from home and stay at a hotel nearer to my workplace if required, regardless of where the role is in the country. I am also willing to drive. Two things I would have never considered when I was a city boy.
                      That level of flexibility is always an added advantage and can be fun to do if you find local hobbies/clubs and fill your time.

The next frustration you might get is when you apply and either the client or agent state they want a local contractor because they worry you'll quit because of the travel. Really bloody annoying that is.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X