• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Have you tried this?

Skills assessment | National Careers Service

I've heard it's flawless.
    Currently Business Analyst, recommended retrain as Business Analyst

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      No no no no no

You had to be in the London office 100% of my clients over past 20 years mom to Friday

Me and all entire delivery teams as perceived as pulling a fast one working from home

It will go on forever our company has cancelled its building lease so WFH forever like many others

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      I've worked remotely on and off since I started contracting in the 00s.

There was (and is) no logic in which clients were fine with me working remotely and those who insisted I had to be in the office.

In most roles that were remote I did have to come into the office or made sure I did a few times a month. I suspect this helped get my contracts extended on a few occasions.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ghost of tahera is correct here. Banking has never allowed wfh and if you did get it it was some kind of special exemption for one day a week.

There was an unhealthy expectation of people in their chairs from 9 to 6 at a min and some people decided to take this further and make it 8-8??

If it wasn’t for corona this wouldn’t have changed

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          Currently Business Analyst, recommended retrain as Business Analyst
          That's a good app.

It's identified you aren't good enough and suggested that you get some training
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
            Ghost of tahera is correct here. Banking has never allowed wfh and if you did get it it was some kind of special exemption for one day a week.

There was an unhealthy expectation of people in their chairs from 9 to 6 at a min and some people decided to take this further and make it 8-8������������

Yep I agree with this too. I was in banking some years ago and the culture was very much against WFH. Only via special dispensation could you get a day at home, or if you had been on an overnight call-out. Still, I really enjoyed working in the City, even though the travel took 3 hours out of my life each day. But I made sure I kept my hours from 8am to 4.30pm (1 hour for lunch, and quite often 4 hours for liquid lunch).

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

There was an unhealthy expectation of people in their chairs from 9 to 6 at a min and some people decided to take this further and make it 8-8[emoji51][emoji51]

I've worked with three different banking clients & all of them were fine with wfh...
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                I've worked with three different banking clients & all of them were fine with wfh...
                Cool story bro

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                  Not all banks are the same and not all teams within banks are the same. Like any industry, it's generally pointless to generalise

Comment

Never worked in the City (although at various stage have worked in Farringdon, Brick Lane, just behind Borough Market and Holborn so have circled it!) so can't really comment but from the outside looking in it does seem to be it's own little world. From what I have read on here rate cuts and outside IR35 contracts not happening anymore does seem to start in one bank then go through the rest.

Thing is people who work in the City seem to assume the rest of the world is like that and it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Thing is people who work in the City seem to assume the rest of the world is like that and it isn't.
                      Not just the City, but one of the most frustrating things about CUK is people not being able to see beyond their own bubble. And some of those bubbles are very small indeed - I suspect I've done more contracts and projects in 6 years contracting than many have in several decades. And, of course, that kind of consulting is its own bubble too!

Comment

Working...
                      X