• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I accepted one of the offers I had on the table. I had three - and I'm still getting two to three calls per week from recruiters. I'd say the market still isn't 100% of what it was, but from where I'm standing it looks like it suddenly "woke up" a few weeks ago and it almost feels like the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      surely you just make it look like another contract?
      How? They check this in the background screening?

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
        Most contracts won't do any background screening although I imagine in some industries/sectors they might have to.

Comment

If you are subject to a background screening how do you explain the time not working or the payments into your account (if they do that approach).

I really think hiding a contract would be more work and harder than just listing it and letting agents and employers make the wrong assumption (it was a contract rather than failed permie job).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Most contracts won't do any background screening although I imagine in some industries/sectors they might have to.
            I'm in financial services and have always gone through stringent background checks. Labelling a permanent job as a contract is out of the question.

If you are subject to a background screening how do you explain the time not working or the payments into your account (if they do that approach).

I really think hiding a contract would be more work and harder than just listing it and letting agents and employers make the wrong assumption (it was a contract rather than failed permie job).
            I had this with a contract once. I had started a permie job and left after 5 months as they had lied about the role. So I left it off my CV - the agency that I landed the contract gig with, asked me for bank statements to prove I wasn't working. So I just used a different bank account.

I dont understand your latter statement. My question was how would I disguise a permanent job as a contract job on my CV? Imo it's not possible due to background screenings, and the only option is to leave it out entirely. Obviously Covid has wreaked havoc at the moment, so employers would be somewhat understanding of a short permie job on the CV.

Comment

I'm in financial services and have always gone through stringent background checks. Labelling a permanent job as a contract is out of the question.

I had this with a contract once. I had started a permie job and left after 5 months as they had lied about the role. So I left it off my CV - the agency that I landed the contract gig with, asked me for bank statements to prove I wasn't working. So I just used a different bank account.

I dont understand your latter statement. My question was how would I disguise a permanent job as a contract job on my CV? Imo it's not possible due to background screenings, and the only option is to leave it out entirely. Obviously Covid has wreaked havoc at the moment, so employers would be somewhat understanding of a short permie job on the CV.
              Well you've just admitted to committing fraud but hey ho...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Honestly I wouldn't care. I'd still list it if it was relevant. Why would a contract role care if you left a permie job after a year? I understand why a permie role would care but why a contract one.

Comment

If an Agent asked me to prove I wasn't working I'd hundred percent tell him to get lost

Comment

Not at all. I have no legal obligation to disclose where I've worked in the past or my private financial affairs. They were being unfair & difficult in forcing me to provide a bank statement, so I provided one. As far as I'm concerned that short permie job is not part of my work history, all taxes were paid and therefore should have no bearing. Whether a companies in-house policy is to investigate such matters is down to them, and its down to them to decide how stringently they want to investigate these types of situations. Some companies choose not to bat an eye lid, and thats their choice. If there was an absolute legal requirement to do so, every company would ask for a bank statements to audit CV gaps - but they dont, so it's not compulsory.

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Honestly I wouldn't care. I'd still list it if it was relevant. Why would a contract role care if you left a permie job after a year? I understand why a permie role would care but why a contract one.
                    Indeed going into a contract role would be easier. However in the current climate I cant find any contract roles, so I was hypothesising the scenario whereby I may need to jump from a Permie role into another Permie role.
                    Last edited by sira; 3 September 2020, 09:11.

Comment

Leaving a role off a CV is in no way fraud.

Comment

Working...
                      X