• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highland View Post
    Perms get sacked too.
    I know that. In fact I was thinking about this last night. For the time being, however, relieved I did it judging by the times - IR35 and coronavirus.

Comment

US futures are 11% down? Where?
      Futures Investing News - MarketWatch
      But they reversed overnight on stimulus hopes which is weird as the economy is not going to recover for many months is it!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Futures Investing News - MarketWatch
        But they reversed overnight on stimulus hopes which is weird as the economy is not going to recover for many months is it!
        The US futures markets went to 1% up almost immediately after the bell yesterday and have stayed +ve ever since.

Dow 30 Futures - Investing.com

They were never 11% down - which is a relief for everyone I'm sure!
        Last edited by Highland; 17 March 2020, 09:23.

Comment

A reliable source told me this about an old client of mine: this client (banking) did the usual blanket assessment and put everyone inside ir35. Some of contractors left, some stayed and agreed to switch. Now a lot of these new inside contracts that were supposed to start in the next month, have been pulled by the client.

A blessing in disguise if you ask me; those contractors who are now bitter and worried about the upcoming bench time will smile in a couple of years when hrmc does the retrospective investigation we all know is going to happen.

With these contractors leaving, will projects suffer delays? Not really, an indian consultancy has already got its hands on all these projects.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            will projects suffer delays? Not really, an indian consultancy has already got its hands on all these projects.
            Does not compute
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The US futures markets went to 1% up almost immediately after the bell yesterday and have stayed +ve ever since.

Dow 30 Futures - Investing.com

They were never 11% down - which is a relief for everyone I'm sure!
              FTSE reversed course its down almost 3% now! US futures are also reversing they are flat so probably another down day coming up.

Comment

I got worried that they might shut down the markets to protect the “establishment” so closed my positions and pulled money out...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  I got worried that they might shut down the markets to protect the “establishment” so closed my positions and pulled money out...
                  Maybe a wise move but once people start pulling out when most stuff is 50% down due to worry then it may be a signal that we're nearing a bottom. I bought 1000 shares in RSDB at about £10 earlier today so I at least get to pretend that I might've gotten a bargain whilst my SIPP bleeds everywhere. Timing the market is for idiots though so will hold them for a while regardless.

However - preservation of cash is never a bad idea. Who knows what the next 6 months (minutes? years?) might look like.

Comment

...How about that topic the state of the market, anyone landed contacts recently, any leads, benched and if so how long?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Lloyd’s buddy just called me up, Lloyd’s are letting go 50% of his team (his team made up entirely of contractors that turned permie 4 short weeks ago) as on probation period they just get 1 weeks pay

Let the permie kulls begin

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      I find real life evidence very hard to reconcile with the upbeat employment stats.
                      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                      X