• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Be very wary of providing free consulting solutions services in extended interviews for strangely specific problems. Gathering consensus from a few experts over interviews is a known way to gain free consultancy.
    Yup - this was on my mind... Probably why I drew a rude picture on the board...

Actually with hindsight this probably why I didn't get the role...

Comment

Be very wary of providing free consulting solutions services in extended interviews for strangely specific problems. Gathering consensus from a few experts over interviews is a known way to gain free consultancy.
      Yep - I've even had agents be quite candid to say that's what the client is doing. For perm roles, this isn't uncommon as what the company thinks it wants/needs at the start of the process can be quite different once they've interviewed 5-6 people.

Comment

Just in case anyone is curious, all those postings on jobserve that are about PRONOM for a contract paying £1000 per day are all about a project at the National Archives in Kew. I'd bet that you could just go direct.

Comment

Had this myself a few months back.

Asking some very specific questions about an implementation which they wanted me to 'potentially' work on. I even pulled them up on it. Suffice to say, I didn't spend too long on the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            Yep - I've even had agents be quite candid to say that's what the client is doing. For perm roles, this isn't uncommon as what the company thinks it wants/needs at the start of the process can be quite different once they've interviewed 5-6 people.
            Very true. Recently had an interview for a role that appeared to be a good match. Interview went well and expecting to move forward. Role advertised again with a different set of requirements.

Comment

Cam across this one today:

Requirements:
              3 years' experience across the Microsoft Azure Stack including Azure Data Factory. (Essential).

Rate: £300 - £350 per day

I guess you could always live in a cardboard box under a bridge to save on costs

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                Just in case anyone is curious, all those postings on jobserve that are about PRONOM for a contract paying £1000 per day are all about a project at the National Archives in Kew. I'd bet that you could just go direct.
                Man, Jobserve is full of ads for this one role. Every agency in the country must have been invited to give this one a go. Kudos to the one agency listing it for £460 a day when everyone else has it up for £800. If they manage to find a developer smart enough to do the job while at the same time so dumb they don't notice the 40 other identical ads with double the rate, they get to pocket 300 quid a day. YOLO!

Comment

How about a Senior Business Intelligence Analyst paying "ideally around £250pd"?

Doesn't sound ideal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    How about a Senior Business Intelligence Analyst paying "ideally around £250pd"?

Doesn't sound ideal to me.
                    So long as they'd be prepared to put up with the MASSIVE AMOUNT of resentment this would cause throughout the duration.

Some of the permanent roles of this type seem to want to pay £30k or so. Same as my son is getting in his first grad job.
                    Last edited by LadyPenelope; 8 November 2019, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      Exactly this...

There was a role in Preston I went for recently who gave me a whiteboard exercise. As far as I know I did really well in both stages of the interview and there only feeling was I was a bit weak on the white board exercise. Four months later they was still looking for some chump who held the secret magic to what they wanted to see on their white board exercise.

Madness
                      Ah, the whiteboard exercise.

I remember one interview for the then T-Mobile up in Hatfield whereby I was being interviewed by two very serious and frowny people. Every answer was treated with the utmost suspicion.

And then came the whiteboard question, Can you draw up for us the project management flow on the whiteboard? This was in the days of; Requirements, Design, Dev, Test, Operations, Live.

Sitting down, I looked round behind me, saw said whiteboard, and turned back round to them saying I can describe this to you without the need for whiteboards.

I didn't get the gig, obviously, but by then I figured I didn't want it either. And so I thought the performing monkey element could be well done without.

Comment

Working...
                      X