• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had three interviews this month (.NET stuff). One cancelled by company, one postponed until next week and I turned down the third as I don't fancy travelling into Central London right now. I fled China because of the virus and it would be too ironic to get it here.

The only job phonecall today was one of those agents who build up a rapport then ask for references. They tend to use the same script so I now hang up as soon as they start asking me details of what projects I've been working on.

I plan on being benched for a few months.

My advice: if you're benched, stockpile food and box sets.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
      The only job phonecall today was one of those agents who build up a rapport then ask for references. They tend to use the same script so I now hang up as soon as they start asking me details of what projects I've been working on..
      Sadly quite a few do this to extract information, but I did have a genuine interest from an agent that started like this. I ended up getting an interview and an offer from it last year. Maybe instead of hanging up, just turn the conversation around and validate the contract they've called you about, and then hang up if its just tosh?

edit: if they ask for references, then its bogus.

Comment

My turn to join the bench, though I did make the decision to take a couple of months off whilst watching this car crash.

Comment

long time lurker, second time poster - I too am joining the bench

After a few days of looking (London based) there is plenty of perm work but not a lot of contract

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
            long time lurker, second time poster - I too am joining the bench

After a few days of looking (London based) there is plenty of perm work but not a lot of contract
            Not sure what your skills are but for testing there are hardly any permie jobs as well as hardly any contract jobs. I did speak to an agent today too and he said about 90% of his permie clients have frozen recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
              My advice: if you're benched, stockpile food and box sets.
              And most importantly loo rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                And most importantly loo rolls.
                If you stockpile enough of the other stuff, you can just use the receipts as emergency loo roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  If you stockpile enough of the other stuff, you can just use the receipts as emergency loo roll.
                  Went to Cheltenham today - stopped at local Asda to get a few bottles of champagne for the train - thought it was a tad busy, heading home from now - same Asda - need some gin

It’s like a bomb site , Secuity everywhere people fighting over humous and chick peas -

Thank god plenty of gin

Never seen anything like it - amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by valleycom View Post
                    Not sure what your skills are but for testing there are hardly any permie jobs as well as hardly any contract jobs. I did speak to an agent today too and he said about 90% of his permie clients have frozen recruitment.
                    Testers, Test Managers, Scrum Masters, BAs, PMs are ten a penny nowadays. If you are already prepared and ready for the role change, this is the perfect time to make that jump/change. Highly experienced are reluctant to go Inside/Perm, Permies are already useless and there is a middle ground that would give you the much needed practical, commercial exposure.

How do I know? - Because I just did that!
                    Last edited by BigDataPro; 14 March 2020, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Went to Cheltenham today - stopped at local Asda to get a few bottles of champagne for the train - thought it was a tad busy, heading home from now - same Asda - need some gin

It’s like a bomb site , Secuity everywhere people fighting over humous and chick peas -

Thank god plenty of gin

Never seen anything like it - amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Ah, it's now the state of the supermarket thread

Far more useful than that job nonsense, seeing as there'll be no jobs soon

Comment

Working...
                      X