• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    OK: if you come across a person in a meeting (and all the lights are out and the curtains/blinds are drawn), can you tell whether they are a contractor or not without going on LinkedIn?
    Is it whether they wipe it on the curtains or not?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Whilst I've no desire to be benched come end February, out of pride, reality (and the missus) suggests I need some time off. I have several plan B's that have been lined up but not started. It really is time to look at some of these with a view to one day getting out of this industry.
      It's reassuring to see someone else thinking like this. I'm in my early 50s, and have been doing the contracting thing for nearly 25 years. I got the (inevitable for the last 5 months) "no more PSCs" news from my client this morning so I'm now looking forward to being, um, time rich.

Thing is, my heart isn't really in IT any more. Maybe this is the catalyst to getting out of the industry, doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        And nobody wants to consider a contractor who will just run off as soon as the market turns around again.
        Market turning around again?

You'll be lucky, contracting is DED bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
          Market turning around again?

You'll be lucky, contracting is DED bro.
          Given the choice of an ex-contractor and someone who has always been permanent if everything else is equal who would you as a manager pick?

The one used to living on £40k a year or the one used to earning the permie equivalent of £70k.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            The one used to living on £40k a year or the one used to earning the permie equivalent of £70k.
            The one that cannot resign without being shortly after sent home.
            There is probably somewhere in the HR handbook that compensation after a certain threshold is considered "hygiene".
            Also below a certain threshold as well it becomes a motivator as it is a more defined need.

That is the part that bothers me the most about current state of things, it has become so much about control.

Comment

52 yo here and feeling the same ennui. Been excited by computers since the age 15. Lately, the excitement seems to be wearing off. Problem is, I have no plan B.

Originally posted by soitgoes View Post
              I'm in my early 50s, and have been doing the contracting thing for nearly 25 years... Thing is, my heart isn't really in IT any more. Maybe this is the catalyst to getting out of the industry, doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by soitgoes View Post
                It's reassuring to see someone else thinking like this. I'm in my early 50s, and have been doing the contracting thing for nearly 25 years. I got the (inevitable for the last 5 months) "no more PSCs" news from my client this morning so I'm now looking forward to being, um, time rich.

Thing is, my heart isn't really in IT any more. Maybe this is the catalyst to getting out of the industry, doing something else.
                Many contractors Ive worked with were disillusioned with the industry - they are contract for that very reason. Its mostly about money. And suffering less by moving around frequently.

Thats mostly my motivation too. Perm just get far too boring far too quickly. Even sitting down for 8 hours is starting to drag to a point I cant take it anymore!

Theres no 'enjoyment' of projects. Its typically "this is a very painful process every day of inching towards a solution - how long until my end date?" Lets double check

Business Days Calculator – Count Workdays

I call it CCD. Chronic Career Disillusionment. Had for at least 20 years apart from 1 year after graduation

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  OK: if you come across a person in a meeting (and all the lights are out and the curtains/blinds are drawn), can you tell whether they are a contractor or not without going on LinkedIn?
                  They smell like money?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    52 yo here and feeling the same ennui. Been excited by computers since the age 15. Lately, the excitement seems to be wearing off. Problem is, I have no plan B.
                    Not quite that age but I don't have that problem. I like problems and puzzles to solve and IT still generates new puzzles every day.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

i've always enjoyed my work.
                      i love engineering, IT ,bikes, cars, or otherwise

Comment

Working...
                      X