• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably should be looking (I could do with some cash coming in) but to be honest I can't be arsed - I've more interesting things to play with that I should be able to monetise easily enough.

This is the thing about contracting as MF and others have pointed out in the past - there is no easier hassle free way to earn a decent amount of money.
    Last edited by eek; 20 January 2020, 13:49.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I probably should be looking but to be honest I can't be arsed - I've more interesting things to play with that I should be able to monetise easily enough.
      Plan B is generating revenue for me, but it's still a long way off replacing gigs. Having said that, if I am on the bench I'll be generating more revenue in Plan B so it's not a bad thing to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        without doubt this is the worst Jan i've seen in terms of contract roles since I started contracting in 2010. I'm in contract until March but the number of colleagues and friends looking is unprecedented - perhaps during the recession in 2008 it was similar.
        Ditto and I have been going since 2000. 2008 was not as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Rate

Just had a recruiter tell me role is offering £600 per day inside IR35 - which = £340 a day net.

Struggling to see how hes working that out. From the numbers Im putting in here its more like £340 a day - without taxes taken out - eg £340 gross?

340 x 225 = £76000

IR35 Calculator - How much will it cost you? - IT Contracting

Day rate of £600 - with "Annual salary if outside ir35" of guessing - circa £7000?

= £74,000 (Ir35)

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
            Just had a recruiter tell me role is offering £600 per day inside IR35 - which = £340 a day net.

Struggling to see how hes working that out. From the numbers Im putting in here its more like £340 a day - without taxes taken out - eg £340 gross?

340 x 225 = £76000

IR35 Calculator - How much will it cost you? - IT Contracting

Day rate of £600 - with "Annual salary if outside ir35" of guessing - circa £7000?

= £74,000 (Ir35)
            From Umbrella Take Home Pay Calculator - Clarity Umbrella Ltd

£3000 a week
            £1289.58 in tax
            £25 umbrella fee
            £1685.42 take home

so £338 a day once all the tax is paid.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              From Umbrella Take Home Pay Calculator - Clarity Umbrella Ltd

£3000 a week
              £1289.58 in tax
              £25 umbrella fee
              £1685.42 take home

so £338 a day once all the tax is paid.
              Then take out your expenses

Comment

Originally posted by CorBlimey View Post
                Ditto and I have been going since 2000. 2008 was not as bad.

2008 was the land of milk and honey, can’t remember anyone I know being out of work

Now it’s like 50% of contractors I know

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                  Is the old world bulletproof and wont produce technical issues?

I think the assumption of software systems wont fail is kinda naive in the modern day. It's as saying Cars don't breakdown, Trains won't fault etc...
                  I wouldn't say its embarrasing at all. Afterall, all things do fail at some point. It might look embarrasing from the business point of view but from a software development industry view point, it should be applauded. They're not afraid to fail and willing to showcase their failures out in public, and thus learning from their failues. All this is part of the whole DevOps philosophy.

The view that its embarrasing for your software system to fail is kind of a bit dated to be honest and it's still relatively common to see these views from old age enterprises.
                  What kind of Koolaid have you been drinking? Can I have some?

Yeah when Facebook goes down for 12 hours, everyone claps and cheers..
                  When the bank website goes down, or visa is broken and you can't get your money at the cash register.. we all clap.. "they must be so proud of themselves right now!"..

Comment

Why is this a surprise to some? The banks use these consultancies the same way they use contractors via agencies, so they run the same risk that they'd have to produce a determination for the individuals. They're simply removing that risk.

But is sounds like even some consultancies can't differentiate their own contractors from their own employees. A quote from that article (my bolding):

But all our staff will now be taxed as PAYE, yet not all will stay,” says one. “We might as well cancel the deal [with LBG] and shut our firm down, as in no way is it viable anymore.”

If they are staff, they should already be PAYE. If they are contractors, they are not staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Why is this a surprise to some? The banks use these consultancies the same way they use contractors via agencies, so they run the same risk that they'd have to produce a determination for the individuals. They're simply removing that risk.

But is sounds like even some consultancies can't differentiate their own contractors from their own employees. A quote from that article (my bolding):

But all our staff will now be taxed as PAYE, yet not all will stay,” says one. “We might as well cancel the deal [with LBG] and shut our firm down, as in no way is it viable anymore.”

If they are staff, they should already be PAYE. If they are contractors, they are not staff.
                      It's semantics - have you ever seen a consultancy roll up to the end client and admit that they are providing contractor resources because they don't have skilled permie staff.

Comment

Working...
                      X