• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    The Revenue have specifically said they wouldn't hold that against you.
    And you trust them on that?

Comment

i started contracting about 2 years ago and since then i have done 4 gigs.
      i would say i have had it tough as i was back on the market every 6 months but i always found something.
      yes it wouldve been nice to have had a long term contract or renewals but i think its been great in terms of the whole contracting experience, i worked in different sectors, worked in europe, did remote work.
      now am sat on the bench going into 4th month.
      it annoys me that ive not been doing contracting long at all and things seem to be taking a turn for the worse.

personally for me being on the bench, im quite fortunate in that i dont have a mortgage i cant imagine what you guys are going through as most people for sure have a mortgage.
      so for me its about tightening the belt, putting big purchases on hold.
      spend more time with family
      but its also important to keep yourself on top of your game, courses books certs etc

Comment

I've found that the market is pretty good for DevOps contracts in the Central Belt area, my current contract is converting employees come start 2020 so had to find an alternative in the past few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by na764 View Post
          i started contracting about 2 years ago and since then i have done 4 gigs.
          i would say i have had it tough as i was back on the market every 6 months but i always found something.
          yes it wouldve been nice to have had a long term contract or renewals but i think its been great in terms of the whole contracting experience, i worked in different sectors, worked in europe, did remote work.
          now am sat on the bench going into 4th month.
          it annoys me that ive not been doing contracting long at all and things seem to be taking a turn for the worse.

personally for me being on the bench, im quite fortunate in that i dont have a mortgage i cant imagine what you guys are going through as most people for sure have a mortgage.
          so for me its about tightening the belt, putting big purchases on hold.
          spend more time with family
          but its also important to keep yourself on top of your game, courses books certs etc
          hey I've got TWO mortgages so there's a lot at stake. But I've been in this game long enough to know two things. 1) it always turns around again and I believe this (IR35/Brexit) will be no exception. 2) it's amazing how long you can survive and learn to live off less. I took a real beating in the financial crisis but came out of it stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by darsa View Post
            I've found that the market is pretty good for DevOps contracts in the Central Belt area, my current contract is converting employees come start 2020 so had to find an alternative in the past few weeks.
            What is the "Central Belt Area"?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              What is the "Central Belt Area"?
              Glasgow to Edinburgh along the M8.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm not surprised, I see a lot of roles for Dev Ops on the job boards. Also Data Scientists and Data Engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Glasgow to Edinburgh along the M8.
                  Do you think this trend will continue with jobs if Scottish independence does come into fruition?

(Some us might contemplate emmigrating to the "Scottish Riveria" if the global climate change / weird weather continues for the next couple of decades. Going north instead down to the Spain or Southern France.)

Comment

Originally posted by iainb View Post
                    Links didn't work... goto the homepage, search world cruise, Jan 2020 and it's about 12 or 13 down

No Fly 2020 Grand Round the World
                    6th January 2020 for 120 Nights
                    Columbus
                    Visiting: Tilbury > Rotterdam > Ponta Delgada, Azores > Willemstad, Curacao > Cartagena, Colombia > Colon, Panama > Nuku Hiva > Papeete > Bora Bora > Nuku 'Alofa > Suva > Tauranga > Auckland > Wellington > Sydney, Australia > Yorkeys Knob > Madang > Yokohama > Kagoshima > Tianjin > Shanghai > Hong Kong, China > Ha Long Bay > Phu My > Sihanoukville > Laem Chabang > Singapore Harbour Front > Port Klang > Penang > Colombo, Sri Lanka > Cochin > Mumbai > Safaga > Aqaba > Haifa > Athens (Piraeus) > Gibraltar > Tilbury
                    Limited Availability!
                    Save up to 60%
                    from £6649.05PP
                    2 adults

I just wanna go on my own, I don't know anyone that could afford it

Comment

Anyone stuck still contracting in the traditional investment banking projects in the City of London / Canary Wharf should have left that scene years ago, if not months ago

"HSBC contractors in HSBC IT are being informed by their agency Reed that HSBC are cutting their rates by slightly over 23%"
                      HSBC Contractors 23% IR35 Rate Cut Shock - BEFORE Tax and NI

This news is really opportunistic, short-sighted and knee jerk IMHO, but it was expected behaviour considering many of these so-called global banks' track record over the years.

The bell is flipping tolling now...

Comment

Working...
                      X