• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I'm not actively looking at the moment I'm hoping the government sort themselves out do a deal with the EU by 31st of October and we get the business taps turned back on on 1st November. So many clients appear to be in limbo awaiting what will happen that there must be pent up demand just waiting for the situation to be cleared up.

If desperate and already in London or have access to a cheap Megabus or National Express, it may not be the worst idea to go and sit on Silicon Roundabout (presume there is an actual roundabout there ) with a sign saying the equivalent of 'Will code HTML for food' (replace HTML with your primary skill). There's the occasional news story where this type of action pays off so you never know.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Noticed a recent uptick in the Indian accented firms with UK landline numbers who nonetheless don't know whereabouts in the UK various cities are, offering £250 a day
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Noticed a recent uptick in the Indian accented firms with UK landline numbers who nonetheless don't know whereabouts in the UK various cities are, offering £250 a day
        They are chancers. They called me for one role which was very niche and a very particular skill set. They offered me half the rate I was on in a similar role before. A day later, a UK based recruitment firm called me and offered me a rate I would expect.

Comment

they always chance their arm once you have been on the bench for a while. I usually take it as re-assurance that at least I won't starve to death.

When you are at the bottom at least you know what the bottom looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            If desperate and already in London or have access to a cheap Megabus or National Express, it may not be the worst idea to go and sit on Silicon Roundabout (presume there is an actual roundabout there ) with a sign saying the equivalent of 'Will code HTML for food' (replace HTML with your primary skill). There's the occasional news story where this type of action pays off so you never know.
            I walk past there twice a week when I go swimming. Its a massive building site at the moment - would be very unpleasant there.

Comment

I've started to play the haggle game as they seem to like that.
              On Monday I was put forward £200 higher than the initial figure the agent quoted, but I was still 'giving' him a £50 discount on my usual rate

Comment

Dare I say it - a verbal boom has been received.

Banking - any port in a storm!
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Dare I say it - a verbal boom has been received.

Banking - any port in a storm!
                  Well, that is great! Well done.

Just shows how quickly things can turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
                    Well, that is great! Well done.

Just shows how quickly things can turn around.
                    On an individual basis yes, but it's taken 2 months to get to that point
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

hello Avance consulting!

Comment

Working...
                      X