• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been extended

For six months so I'm taking it

Been here 18 months - extension takes me to just up to the start of the two years so I'm clear on that.

Agency has agreed shortened payment terms for the final invoices - so covered on new regs since I'm almost certain client will assess this as being caught

I've also agreed the last two invoices will have reduced payment terms to get paid before the cut off.

Also have an interview next week for a job on the dark side - salary they are offering is too good not to follow it up and at least go in to talk about it.

So things are ok on my side of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
      For six months so I'm taking it

Been here 18 months - extension takes me to just up to the start of the two years so I'm clear on that.

Agency has agreed shortened payment terms for the final invoices - so covered on new regs since I'm almost certain client will assess this as being caught

I've also agreed the last two invoices will have reduced payment terms to get paid before the cut off.

Also have an interview next week for a job on the dark side - salary they are offering is too good not to follow it up and at least go in to talk about it.

So things are ok on my side of the fence.
      Congrats

Comment

Been a quiet week again. Got put forward for one thing quite local but didn't get an interview as my apps testing experience wasn't recent. Which is a load of old nonsense but I suppose in the current market they can be stupidly picky.

That said I remember previous Summer Holidays when I was looking and didn't hear from an agent for weeks on end and after the 08 crash there was hardly any adverts on Jobserve so if you are a glass half full person there is maybe reason for some optimism?

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          That said I remember previous Summer Holidays when I was looking and didn't hear from an agent for weeks on end and after the 08 crash there was hardly any adverts on Jobserve so if you are a glass half full person there is maybe reason for some optimism?
          I started contracting in 2008 & I've never seen the market so dead as it is right now. I still have a few weeks left where I am just now so here's hoping it picks up a bit!
          If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Back on the hunt for my last week in current gig. Just got contacted by an agent about some roles who asked for the right to rep but also that I agree to opt out of the regs. First time a pimp has done that when it's not stapled to a contract. Perhaps some of them have actually started reading the rules about the bulltulip they spout out.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              Back on the hunt for my last week in current gig. Just got contacted by an agent about some roles who asked for the right to rep but also that I agree to opt out of the regs. First time a pimp has done that when it's not stapled to a contract. Perhaps some of them have actually started reading the rules about the bulltulip they spout out.
              I hadn't considered that but it does make sense - happening prior to introduction. Though they are making it conditional to everything they do, so...
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                I started contracting in 2008 & I've never seen the market so dead as it is right now. I still have a few weeks left where I am just now so here's hoping it picks up a bit!
                My memory of the aftermath of the crash was JobServe practically stopping and the only phone calls from agents being to kill five minutes discussing how bad it was. I don’t think it is quite that bad yet.

Your experience might be different, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  My memory of the aftermath of the crash was JobServe practically stopping and the only phone calls from agents being to kill five minutes discussing how bad it was. I don’t think it is quite that bad yet.

Your experience might be different, obviously.
                  I think I might just have been lucky with my first few contracts tbh!
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Had to take 5-6 months off to deal with family issues. Not many calls during that period.

Had quite a few last couple of weeks - quite a number of roles appear to be coming through right now, so boomed with a pretty good gig in terms of rate and potential for further work.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                      I think I might just have been lucky with my first few contracts tbh!
                      There was apparently a downturn in 2012 which I managed to sit out with a fairly longterm contract. You make your own luck though!

Comment

Working...
                      X