• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by man View Post
    It could just be my bad luck/inability to write a good CV but I've never found a solid way of effectively 'reskilling' (unless certs, study and blind luck counts) because I've found that if I don't have experience measured in years doing the exact advertised role, on the CV in bold print, my applications are largely ignored, most of the few agents who do call are disinterested as their questions centre around experience in doing the exact role advertised (often requested in number of years) and of the few agents willing to take a punt on transferrable skills/attitude, the hiring manager isn't interested in progressing.

Do you have a method or any suggestions that seem to work? (i.e. once you've learned how to use the new skills - in getting your foot in the door to demonstrate them). Happy to accept that this may just be unavoidable and it really is blind luck but I'm hopeful that there is a more effective way (except lying, which sadly I suspect is likely to be effective - but I refuse to).
    No you are absolutely right you can't reskill on the job, you have to either go permie for a while or take part in open source projects. When you reskill the only way to do that as a contractor is for your other skills to be relevant as well and then they'll accept the "I read it in a book" argument.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It could just be my bad luck/inability to write a good CV but I've never found a solid way of effectively 'reskilling' (unless certs, study and blind luck counts) because I've found that if I don't have experience measured in years doing the exact advertised role, on the CV in bold print, my applications are largely ignored, most of the few agents who do call are disinterested as their questions centre around experience in doing the exact role advertised (often requested in number of years) and of the few agents willing to take a punt on transferrable skills/attitude, the hiring manager isn't interested in progressing.

Do you have a method or any suggestions that seem to work? (i.e. once you've learned how to use the new skills - in getting your foot in the door to demonstrate them). Happy to accept that this may just be unavoidable and it really is blind luck but I'm hopeful that there is a more effective way (except lying, which sadly I suspect is likely to be effective - but I refuse to).
      You are mixing up knowledge with skill. They are not the same thing. The definition of skill - the ability to do something well; expertise. You can't meet this after a course or reading something. You have the knowledge but it's not a skill.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If your talking about a new complementary skill to your current set then doing a course in it and finding a way to shoehorn it in to your day job will give you tangible experience you can big up on your CV and at interview. Then apply for job's where that skill is used more or exposes you to experience you really want. I get emails all the time for a niche Content Management System I last touched 8 years ago simply because I did some work on it for 3 months. Remember if it's a new or rare skill there will be a limited supply of people anyway and you only have to be the best person to apply for the role not the perfect person. When going into interviews as well make sure you are in a position where you have self belief in your ability to do the role and can cover the basic interview questions. (even if this a self belief borne from the fact you will be putting in an extra 20+ hours week to cover any gaps in your knowledge until your competency levels are up).

If you're re-skilling(?) for a totally new role, such as: BA to Programmer. That would mean starting at the bottom as a junior and working your way up. Say your a BA in Retail look for junior programming jobs in the retail sector. Your business knowledge will let you climb the ladder quickly as you prove your programming skills and some clients specifically look for Analyst Programmers who can do both.
        Last edited by BlueSharp; 8 June 2018, 15:19.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          No you are absolutely right you can't reskill on the job, you have to either go permie for a while or take part in open source projects. When you reskill the only way to do that as a contractor is for your other skills to be relevant as well and then they'll accept the "I read it in a book" argument.
          Yes you can, that's what I did but there was an element of luck. I took a sideways step in the same firm from one project/team to another one and delivered it in the new tech. stack. But I had done a lot of groundwork prior to that in my own time.

Comment

@BlasterBates: As I thought, so without a good dose of luck or the right contact only gradual changes in career path can be achieved without dipping back into permie roles.

@northernladuk: I agree with the definition you provide but I disagree that I'm mixing them up. It is exactly that mindset amongst hiring managers (and consequenly agents as they'll respond to whatever clients demand) that in my experience keeps so many mediocre (and worse) people in roles, and talented people who could outperform them don't get the chance to even sit down for a chat. Years experience + marketing ability ≠ skill.

In some areas of IT (and with the right background and preparation strategy), it is possible to gain a more than adequete level of skill (for the needs of many clients) in a technology, without on the job experience. When a corporation swaps out one technology vendor for another, does it firstly ensure that all its existing staff have experience in the new techology? Again in my experience, it does not (for obvious reasons), it 'upskills' them (or just dumps the tech on them on expects them to get on with it - ask me how I know!). I maintain that professional contractors can 'upskill' themselves.

As small business owners, part of our due diligence before signing a contract is that we can deliver what is being asked for - i.e. that our company has sufficient skills available to meet the client's needs - which we need to ask the right questions to assess. I don't think that most agents are equipped (or willing to equip) to assess that themselves, and in many cases, nor are the clients. So we're left with wild guesses based off claimed experience.
            Last edited by man; 8 June 2018, 15:56.

Comment

Not read the whole background but there's ways to get into different areas as a contractor. Yes, it does take luck / who you know / lateral thinking sometimes.

I started in accounts, moved to an IT Helpdesk, then four months as an IT Support Manager, then went contracting after taking a year out and getting a HNC in Computing. After that, I picked up an IAM role administering user accounts, then an ITIL process job, a project analyst role on a tech rollout, found myself on an ISO 27002 implementation project (because I knew about IAM), then back to that previous tech rollout, a tweak of a CV later to focus on process and I find myself in an airport process mapping stand allocation processes and how to get a disabled person on a plane. Another tech rollout project where my ability with an excel spreadsheet gained me "guru" status, that lead to another tech rollout where I had three roles: PMO deputy, tooling development lead, and project reporting analyst (at the same time!). Then something about printers where I became adept at querying print servers to find out what they had and figuring out if they could work with 64-bit drivers. Somewhere amongst that I picked up a lot of SharePoint knowledge (front end, not back end but you can do a lot with workflows if the client lets you have SharePoint Designer installed). Onto another airport where I'm reviewing airside operational processes and producing analyses of on time performance, runway utilisation and writing technical user manuals for an airside ops co-ordination tool used by all ground handlers and airlines. Oh I wrote a winter operations plan for runway clearance and aircraft de-icing. Now I'm doing operational readiness / change mangement for yet another tech rollout. (I miss the airports terribly)

TL;DR - you can re-skill if you're willing to put yourself out, take roles for their learning opportunity / interest and try new stuff. You won't necessarily earn the big bucks but it's way more interesting.

Comment

I always reskill on the job. I don't think I've had a contract where I haven't learnt some new language/framework/tool. I can't see how you can avoid it these days.

Comment

Pausing a career to get qualifications: impressive.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  ...after taking a year out and getting a HNC in Computing.
                  think my Dad did a similar thing, way back.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                    I always reskill on the job. I don't think I've had a contract where I haven't learnt some new language/framework/tool. I can't see how you can avoid it these days.
                    Pretty much this. You can even learn unrelated skills to your current in some form or manner (even if only a little) in your current role, so you can advertise as having experience in using the tools in your previous role - this is useful if you know there is demand for a certain skill in the market.

Comment

Just what the market needs

8000 more IT workers getting visas to come on in

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...sands-skilled/

Comment

Working...
                      X