• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Facts based on what may I ask ? My second and third contracts were found no problem at all. People say all this but I am not convinced this is the case at all.
    It's a generalisation covering all skills.

Some people have no issue getting contracts while others struggle.

As long as people are aware they could go months between contracts then they should be able to cope mentally.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Facts based on what may I ask ? My second and third contracts were found no problem at all. People say all this but I am not convinced this is the case at all.
      So it went smoothly for you. That's good. That doesn't mean it's the same case for all. We often see people come on here in a permie job and a contract has landed in their lap. All well and good. They aren't on the clock and they've got income coming in in the meantime. They leave, do their first contract and find themselves on the bench with no income. That's where it get's difficult. They don't have the luxury of just waiting until one comes along. They have to nail the next one and fast. Their CV's might not be ready, they haven't gotten their heads around how to find work etc and it's quite likely they forgot about a war chest.

That's why it's difficult. Yes you can get through nice and easily but it's one of the most risky periods. We are just advising the posters of the potential risks.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It's a generalisation covering all skills.

Some people have no issue getting contracts while others struggle.

As long as people are aware they could go months between contracts then they should be able to cope mentally.
        This applies to any contract, now just second or third ?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So it went smoothly for you. That's good. That doesn't mean it's the same case for all. We often see people come on here in a permie job and a contract has landed in their lap. All well and good. They aren't on the clock and they've got income coming in in the meantime. They leave, do their first contract and find themselves on the bench with no income. That's where it get's difficult. They don't have the luxury of just waiting until one comes along. They have to nail the next one and fast. Their CV's might not be ready, they haven't gotten their heads around how to find work etc and it's quite likely they forgot about a war chest.

That's why it's difficult. Yes you can get through nice and easily but it's one of the most risky periods. We are just advising the posters of the potential risks.
        That's not what Eek was saying - he was saying that second contract is difficult to get, which is what I am challenging and to which you are presenting a separate argument to above.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Come on guys,

I totally agree with North Laddy. To sit here and just say "oh yes, well I was fine, contract after contract extension with no breaks for 5 years and various increases throughout that period" doesn't really help anyone.

Talk to any contractor and they will know someone somewhere that struggled. I know a couple of guys (good / solid PMs, seriously, good guys) who got unlucky when a programme was shelved in July of 20xx and guess what? Its summer holidays so they managed to get a role circa 4 months later. One of them was 7 months. Wow, I felt so bad for them as I know that programme.

I understand we shouldn't be negative all the time, but we do need to give worst case scenarios so that n00bies understand:

Yes yes, you will (if working the whole year with no big contract breaks) in general earn more than your full time counterpart.

BUT, there are many pitfalls that comes with this;

- Ill for any reason? Tough! Keep working. I broke a bone on my xxxx (some of you may know who I am if I give this away) and kept working as if nothing happened

- Want a long holiday? Tough! Rule is, you keep working hard while contracting. Throughout my 5 years I minimized my holidays, always thinking (this contract could end and I can have a holiday thereafter). It didn't happen but I think it was the right strategy

- and so on, we all know the +ve and -ves

Comment

That's not what Eek was saying - he was saying that second contract is difficult to get, which is what I am challenging and to which you are presenting a separate argument to above.
            Yeah but it's the period of greatest risk. With more gigs under their belt they are a safer option and likely to have a better warchest. You have all the time in the world for one to land in your lap in permie but not when you are on the bench.

The fact they manage to secure one while a permie doesn't necessarily mean they can be a successful contractor. They might have just gotten lucky and had had many failures they don't realise.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 24 July 2017, 09:41.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm well past the point when I listen to people arguing over words and phrases. It means they have missed the point.
              Last edited by eek; 24 July 2017, 10:09.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I'm well past the point when I listen to people arguing over words and phrases. It means they have missed the point.
                Well if the 'words and phrases' set the wrong context, it should be clarified so that the point is not missed. But as you say not point arguing over this, even though you have missed the point on this one !!

Comment

Well if the 'words and phrases' set the wrong context, it should be clarified so that the point is not missed. But as you say not point arguing over this, even though you have missed the point on this one !!
                  Nope we just pointed out your point wasn't necessarily the correct one.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not finished current gig and have had a few calls already so you never know. Turned it down as it was five hour round trip. I'm flexible but there is a limit.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

skills

24 years in contracting, technical. had ready 2-3 skills, continuously learning.
                      in 24 years had about 12 months without contract.
                      everything is about skills and physically moving after the contracts. did a lot of airplane commuting even internationally.
                      but all this after the kids went to university.

Comment

Working...
                      X